Does this make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks,

I have an 03 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4.0L I6) with 15,000 miles. I am planning to switch to Mobil 1 with 5000 mile oil change interval and 2500 mile filter change interval. A couple of questions:

- What filter should I use? I am planning on using Motorcraft FL-300.

- What viscosity should I use (5w30 or 10w30)? I am in Austin TX so cold temp is not an issue. From reading on here, it seems that 5w30 would assist in faster oil flow at startup thus less startup wear. However, the owner's manual recommends 10w30.

Thanks!

[ March 24, 2004, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: saigonsmuggler ]

Motorcraft is a good filter with a good anti-drain back valve. I am not sure the 2,500 filter change is necessary with only a 5K drain interval. M1 10w30 would be fine for your climate and cold start should not be an issue.

quote:

Originally posted by Eiron:
I'm not familiar with Jeeps, so please forgive my ignorance:
Is this the same 4.0L Jeep engine that "loves" 40 wts?

Don't know - I had an 01 TJ and now the 03. Both had the 4.0L I6 and both manuals recommend 10w30 for normal condition and 5w30 for very cold temp.

quote:

Originally posted by Eiron:
I'm not familiar with Jeeps, so please forgive my ignorance:
Is this the same 4.0L Jeep engine that "loves" 40 wts?

Yes, it is.

saigon..., if you love M1, I suggest the M1/D1 5W-40, and I agree that 2500-mile filter changes are unnecessary and a waste of money. Use the longer Ford-size filter (FL-1A); it'll give you a little more filtering area and may work better at the slightly lower flow rates.

Try the 0W40! My Jeep really liked it. You should not need to change the filter at 2500 miles. 6000+ mile OCI's should be easy with the M1 0W40

"I am in Austin TX so cold temp is not an issue."

Yup, and that's why you do NOT need a 0W-anything oil that gets its very high viscosity index thru the use of what must be a generous amount of viscosity-index improvers. Remember, VI improvers have NONE of the characterstics we want in engineoil--oilyness, film strength, etc. All they do is get thicker as they get hotter, and then they BRAKE as the oil gets older and lose some of their effectiveness.

I suggest you use nothing thinner than 5W-40 and that only in 'winter'. Use 10W-40 in summer.

Hey Jeffery,

Since saigonsmuggler isn't running a turbo, I don't think there's anything to worry about WRT the 0W-40 breaking down. If it's the recommended oil for so many turbocharged applications, I think he can use it in full confidence in this N/A application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back