Does this make sense? Trying to find a new oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: b0ssh0gg
So correct me if I'm wrong, but the tradeoff is 0.5% fuel economy for better engine protection when I'm driving it hard?

Why do you think a 20wt does not offer enough protection in a low output economy car?

Unless you are driving the vehicle pinned at the rev limit and the car isn't moving I don't think your driving habits are beyond what a 20 grade can protect to. Remember the new 5.0 uses a 20 grade.
Now honestly is you are already considering Amsoil let me suggest that the added cost will not protect any better at the mileage you are required to change at for warranty retention. It is the best long drain oil available on the market but cost vs reward here won't pay off. Once you are out of warranty and can take advantage of Amsoil's long drain capability then I say go for it.
If you have a Toyota dealer nearby they carry Toyota genuine motor oil in the 0w-20 flavour(tgmo). I would use that until warranty is out,then Amsoil for life.
I'm in Saskatchewan so I know what kind of weather you experience. The tgmo is awesome for winter pumpability and is considered here to be one of the best available 20 grades.
I use conventionals in summer and syns in the winter. I'm cheap and conventionals protect just as well as syns do,they just don't last as long in service. If you can get away with that then give er a shot. My hemi has had nothing but dealer bulk 5w-20,changed every 5000 miles. Truck now has well over 260000kms and will still shred all 4 tires at will.
If a 20 grade can handle towing and hauling and pulling and pushing in my truck all its live I wouldn't be too worried about it in your car.
Anyways that's about all I have to add. If your hearts set on Amsoil you really can't go wrong with it. It's pretty much top of the line,and will keep your engine like new,for extended drains,forever and if cost isn't an issue then go for it. Their filters are awesome too so if you are ordering oil I'd order filters too. Then you can benefit from the extended drain warranty they give you when using their products.

Is PetroCanada new to oil then..? Because as far as I know, Suncor's acquisition of them is pretty recent.

No. They trace their product lineage to 1943, and they've been producing lubes under the Petro-Canada brand name since 1985.

... I would rather go with Amsoil. I bought brand new so I could maintain it from the get-go with the best products...Also, does anyone NOT recommend using SeaFoam?? Friends have used it in the past, and it sounds good, but I'm still only 46k into my first car so I could be wrong..

At only 46k, and maintained as you described, you likely don't need anything to clean - the oil is doing the job for you.

How much damage can actually be done from running higher viscosity oil than what Toyota recommends? While I do like good gas mileage, I feel like my driving habits don't totally correspond with the "green" 0w-20 choice. But, obviously, if 0w-30 is going to bunk up my car, then I would avoid it.

I've seen numerous posts on this board where:

A) xw30 is being run instead of xw20 and the UOA is very good and
B) xw20 is recommended in North America, but xw30 or ever higher recommended Europe or Australia.

So unless your engine has some changes from previous model years that require an xw20 oil you should be able to use it without an issue.

Living up north where you are, the 0w30 or 0w20 should be great, year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back