Does this make sense to any of you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I read the following comment on another message board, and was wondering how the heck it could be true:

"Another thing about conventional 5W30 motor oil, the process to manufacture it takes out more impurities than 10W30 or 10W40. This results in less deposit buildup and sludge."

Am I missing something here?...or is this guy making complete sense?

The only thing I can think of is that the new SL/GF-3 5w-30's (at least I believe) pretty much have to be manufactured with a group two basestock to be certified, whereas the "shorter-spread" oils, such as 10w-30, could still get away with at least a good portion of group one base...

To bad any good brand new oil is GII base, with even some "GII+", as they border on the realm of being a "pseudo-synthetic".

Lastly, a mineral 5w-30 will not achieve any lower deposit and eventually sludge buildup in comparison to a 10w-30...if anything, it will have a larger buildup level, due to higher VII level (shearing down/leaving deposits and losing viscosity) and slightly less resistance to breaking down under high temperatures/loads (oil coking, etc, etc...)

[ October 30, 2003, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Thats exactly what I was thinking jelly...especially with the 10w-30 having the 20 point spread, and the 5w-30 having 25 thus needing more VII. Pretty sure the guy was talking just to hear himself talk.

quote:

Originally posted by wizzells:
Pretty sure the guy was talking just to hear himself talk.

Yeah, I've recently started visiting some other message boards and I'm thinking about posting at a few...the misinformation regarding oils/filters is pretty widspread.

For instance, on one board, a guy asked about oil, and the guy that said not to use Mobil1 because it was a "cheap synthetic" uses Valvoline "Racing" oil and a Fram on his truck...

Now what on earth is a group 3 PAO based oil?
rolleyes.gif

that thread is classic...so many people (outside of this site, of course) arent even willing to listen to suggestions after asking for them!

I think many people are stuck on what they believe. Most dont realize that knowledge has a time value and the futher behind they get the less accuate thier knowledge is.

I think its more likely what i call the "dont confuse me with facts, my mind is made up" mentality.

Unfortunately, with today's research and develoopement proceeding at the pace it does, most knowledge ages and becomes invalid.

The earth was the center of the universe several centuries ago and if you tried to refute this, you were scourged until your heretic beliefs were repudated.

Thank god we live in a time where at least some people get it and realize that facts do change over time. Otherwise we would all still be using non-detergent oil and no filter.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back