Does TC-W3 Two Stroke Oil Reduce Octane Requirements ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe I had read somewhere that TC-W3 2 stroke oil added to automotive gas will reduce octane requirements (among other benefits) ... Your thoughts on this ?

I would think it would do nothing to octane. I have been using tcw3 for a good while now in the f150 and have noticed no performance changes. I did get a slight bump in mpg, though...about 1 mpg.

So therefore , if you elect to use TC-W3 in your fuel you should actually move up to a higher grade octane ?

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
So therefore , if you elect to use TC-W3 in your fuel you should actually move up to a higher grade octane ?

If mixing at 40 to 1 for a 2 stroke bike?..maybe. A squirt in a 18 gallon auto tank?..no.

The mostly used ratio is 640:1 which is roughly an ounce per 5 gallons of gas. At this ratio, no need to move up a grade.

Last edited:
This study is for diesels....but nontheless.....look at chapter: 5.2 Cetane Number

https://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oil-in-diesel-technical-study.php

BTW.....what is real benifit of 640:1 ratio? That reminds me of "magical numbers" from a fairytales
laugh.gif
(1,3,7,....)

1oz of 2-stroke oil for every 5-10 gallons of gas is a great upper end lube .....

but is such a small amount, it does NOT affect octane needs AT ALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back