Does TC-W3 increases combustion temperature ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno
54.gif
One would reason that it will provide an insulating layer that is normally occupied by unburned fuel. You're still going to have your engine manage or attempt to manage 14.7:1 a:f ratio, so I don't see temps being altered much. I don't know if this will allow more complete combustion ..or stifle it.

Time to pull out the exhaust pyrometer and figure it out...Gary is right that the computer will just lean or richen the mixture based on the 02 sensor readings.

Wouldn't the wrong combustion chamber temps throw off a smog sniffer? I was running MMO during my NYS inspection and had some pretty respectable #'s on the sniff test. Great question.

If you stay over 1400F and overrun your catalyst's capacity (given there is still some O2 present in the exhaust stream or a pinhole exhaust leak) you will form NOX and could fail that way. Too cool only worry would be hydrocarbons.

I doubt a 500:1 ratio with TCW3 is going to amount to a hill of beans to an exhaust sniffer anyway. 500:1 seems to be the desired ratio with the TCW3.

Yup....your allowed 1 quart of nasty SM oil consumption/2,000 miles by some OEM's before warranty work kicks in. Low quantities of TC-W3 shouldn't smoke a cat or destroy an engine.

A 500:1 ratio of TC-W3 keeps my CEL from coming on with a catalyst inefficiency code. My guess would be that it is indeed running hotter, which is making the catalytic converter function better.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
A 500:1 ratio of TC-W3 keeps my CEL from coming on with a catalyst inefficiency code. My guess would be that it is indeed running hotter, which is making the catalytic converter function better.

I'm trying to reason this effect you describe. The catalyst is effectively a capacitor ..at least in the efficiency test. It soaks up O2 when lean ..dispenses it when rich. The front end O2 sensor should read the variations in 02, but the downstream should not (over some prescribed duration). When the up stream and downstream read the same, but just slightly out of phase with each other, the cat is no longer performing this quench and purge exchange. The PCM has a counter for these events. If they happen at too high a frequency ..the light comes on.

Your adding TC oil somehow boosts the catalyst's ability to store O2. This has me
54.gif
Not that I doubt your observed cause and effect relationship. I'd just like to understand the mechanism involved.

My theory, which may be completely off base, is that a higher exhaust temp is causing the converters to get hotter, burning off more of the fuel.

Well I think that the temperature rise because the oil is less volatile than gasoline.

I remember that there was a guy that used to put in his diesel car kerosene (the one used for the aircraft) instead diesel fuel.

The kerosene is less volatile than diesel fuel is much greasy, he was telling me that the engine was overheating with kerosene.

This is an ignorant supposition but it make sense to me .

2 stroke oil in gasoline lowers the octane [not a lot, but technically]. TCw3 still does, but less than air cooled versions of 2 stroke oil.
At our light mixtures, I doubt it would be measurable.

Gary,
your description of catalyst operation doesn't match with the concepts running through my head.

I thought that they were a steady state process which stripped the O from the Nox, speeding up that fast forward slow backward process, and combined it with the Co and HC to remove all three from the exhaust.

There isn't (I beleive), a storage/capacitance function in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back