Does synthetic oil really give longer change intervals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

"Fact
Quaker State® does not recommend extending oil drain intervals beyond the 'severe service' maintenance interval of three months or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first. Also, we are unaware of any automobile manufacturer in the United States that currently recognizes using any synthetic oil beyond the recommended oil change intervals outlined in their owner’s manual."

I guess they haven't read GM/Saab's 2003 9³ SS bulletin that states:

"Requires Full Synthetic oil which meets GM-LL-A-025 specification ... with the TIME FOR SERVICE message being set between 8,000 and a maximum of 15,000 miles. If the mileage interval is not met, the message will be set at 2 years. ... It is important to note that this computation is based on the use of fully-synthetic oil which meets GM-LL-A-025 specification. ... If an oil of lesser quality is used, the algorithm will be incorrect and severe engine problems may occur."

This is for a turbocharged engine, & they're specifically saying you can only go this long with premium, fully synthetic oil. Gotta luv QS's marketing team!

twak.gif

[ June 28, 2004, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Eiron ]

Our fleet diesel and gasoline engines are serviced for extended drain intervals, 25,000 miles, as are the automatic transmissions with synthetic lubricants by Hydrotex. No failures due to extended drain intervals. For a personal vehicle, it really depends on the issue of "severe service", in conjunction with UOA results. My F-150 gets a UOA every Spring, the results determine whether-or-not the oil gets changed. I use synthetic oil and a Canton oil filter, 8 micron filter element, which is replaced every 10,000 miles, per Canton's instructions.

I've been doing 10K mile intervals on my Volvo turbo (Amsoil's max recommendation). The car is now just about to 250,000 miles. Enough said.

I think Pennzoil is trying to sell oil. Can't blame them, and most of the other stuff they say about synthetic oil is true.

quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Fact
Quaker State® does not recommend extending oil drain intervals beyond the 'severe service' maintenance interval of three months or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first. Also, we are unaware of any automobile manufacturer in the United States that currently recognizes using any synthetic oil beyond the recommended oil change intervals outlined in their owner’s manual."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess they haven't read GM/Saab's 2003 9³ SS bulletin...

And I guess they haven't read their own 250K/10 mile warranty which requires oil and filter changes every 4 months or 4K miles, whichever comes first.

Interesting that their partner, Pennzoil, now offers the same warranty on their product line. Same terms.

After QS bought Slick 50 I lost interest in them. Though I have seen cars go and go and go on their oils. To me the Slick 50 thing was a turn off.

Dave, I think the concern is that if you drive in extremely dusty conditions or if your car is not in top shape and has excessive blow-by and fuel dilution, then a synthetic may not be able to go the distance.

A uoa or two will show you the right interval.

Cars in top shape with good filtration can absolutely go up to twice the distance on a real syn.

I did the uoa thing (and will again) to show me the proper change interval for my car as well as look at overall engine system health.

With a uoa or two you will know and not be shooting in the dark.

Yes. Synthetics main advantage is longer drain intervals and high/low temp protection. My brother took his car to Toyota yesterday (Solara) and he mentioned M1 to the guy. He said M1/synethetics all break down around 3k miles, the same as dino oil, so it doesn't pay to use M1. I told my brther the guy is moron and NOT to listen to these nit wits. I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MANY PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD WILL SAY THINGS THAT THEY HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT. IT ****** ME OFF.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Yes. Synthetics main advantage is longer drain intervals and high/low temp protection. My brother took his car to Toyota yesterday (Solara) and he mentioned M1 to the guy. He said M1/synethetics all break down around 3k miles, the same as dino oil, so it doesn't pay to use M1. I told my brther the guy is moron and NOT to listen to these nit wits. I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MANY PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD WILL SAY THINGS THAT THEY HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT. IT ****** ME OFF.

I will give the guy the benefit of a doubt and not call him a moron. His judgement may have been colored by the Toyota sludge-omatic issue from past history.

My friend did have an Avalon that would break Mobil 1. That may have been his reasoning or maybe he's just stupid.

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:

quote:

Originally posted by ruking77:
I have been doing 15,000 mile intervals for a long time (17 years) and also a few miles (664,000) miles.

Dude.....no wonder gas prices are so high. You are sucking up the entire national fuel reserves!
freak2.gif
lol.gif

Anyway.....that's a lot of miles. What vehicle type?

Those miles are not all on one vehicle though. If I remember correctly, they are on two different Toyota Land Cruisers he used to have, each with over 250k on them, and on his Corvette Z06 plus his other car he owns right now (can't recall what kind offhand).

quote:

Originally posted by ruking77:
I have been doing 15,000 mile intervals for a long time (17 years) and also a few miles (664,000) miles.

Dude.....no wonder gas prices are so high. You are sucking up the entire national fuel reserves!
freak2.gif
lol.gif

Anyway.....that's a lot of miles. What vehicle type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back