Does synthetic oil have a shelf life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the way Amsoil has been performing, but it's inconvenient and costly to keep getting one gallon jugs. Was thinking of buying a 30 gallon drum, but it would probably take me 3-4 yrs to use it up. Any problems storing it outside in extreme heat and cold?

quote:

Originally posted by PaJohn:
I like the way Amsoil has been performing, but it's inconvenient and costly to keep getting one gallon jugs. Was thinking of buying a 30 gallon drum, but it would probably take me 3-4 yrs to use it up. Any problems storing it outside in extreme heat and cold?

Hi,

No ... Don't worry about it. Synthetic oil
is good for at least a decade.

cheers.gif

Jae

Why not just buy a few cases at a time instead? I think oil in bottles would have a longer shelf life than an entire drum of oil would, especially since it's more easily contaminated.

I guess I just can't see how ordering a big drum of oil would be more convenient than buying oil in single bottles or gallon jugs.

dunno.gif

From Motul FAQ's

"What is oil shelf life ?
Motul is ISO 9001 certified and according to our quality procedure, Motul products are guaranteed for 2 years after the production date. To be sure, we keep one sample of each produced batch and check it from time to time during 2 years. After 2 years we have no experience therefore we cannot guarantee our products."

I know some folks believe in shaking the bottle before pouring.
I only have 1 friend that is big enough that would be able to help me shake up a drum.
grin.gif

Thanks Pete. And thanks for pointing me to this site, Very interesting reading.
And thanks for all the advice guys, consensus seems to be to stick with the smaller quantities.

Many of the drums are plastic (especially the 30-gallon drum) now so no worry with
rusting. Plus, the cost/qt is much cheaper.

If you go with big quantities you're kinda stuck with your choice till it's used up. I'm still trying to use up the case of Delvac 1 I bought for my motorcycle 3 years ago. I wish I didn't have to buy it by the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back