Does Shaeffer's Oil meet GM heat requirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is really sad, because according to what I have been able to find out from testing people have done at this site (sending oil samples in to be tested), Shaeffer's Oil is better than Mobil 1!

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
That is really sad, because according to what I have been able to find out from testing people have done at this site (sending oil samples in to be tested), Shaeffer's Oil is better than Mobil 1!

Yep, it most certainly is! If I win the lottery tonight and can afford a new Corvette, I wouldn't hesitate to run Schaeffer Oil in it.

[ April 19, 2003, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I have a question concerning Shaeffer's Oil. Does it meet the GM heat requirement for use in Corvettes.

I don't think Schaeffer's blend meet the Corvette requirement simply because they aren't labelled full synthetic, even though technically speaking they would pass all the tests needed as far as heat. The sad thing is that these oils outperform all of the group 3 oils, which technically aren't even synthetic anyways, but legally are allowed to be called so. For all intents and purposes Schaeffer's blends are just as good as full synthetics though, we've seen it in the UOAs on here.

I believe the fully synthetic 5w30 Schaeffer oil meet's Corvette requirements, but that oil isn't sold in single quarts unfortunately, only in 5 gallon pails or 55 gallon drums. Schaeffer Oil is missing out on a huge amount of sales, IMO, with this practice.

[ April 19, 2003, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Patman, you sound just like those rascally Amsoil salesmen that everyone criticizes.
wink.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
Patman, you sound just like those rascally Amsoil salesmen that everyone criticizes.
wink.gif
patriot.gif

How do you figure? I don't just promote one oil, I've given equal time to Redline, Schaeffer Oil and the German 0w30 Castrol on here lately. Amsoil salesmen I've come across on the net generally (but not always, and not the guys who sponsor us here) only will say good things about Amsoil and nobody else. Truth be told, there are a few really good oils out there that you can't go wrong by choosing them. Amsoil is in that group also. Then there are other oils out there that are all hype and no performance. We all know which oil I'm referring to here.

quote:

Originally posted by Patmam

Yep, it most certainly is! If I win the lottery tonight and can afford a new Corvette, I wouldn't hesitate to run Schaeffer Oil in it. [/QB][/QUOTE]

This statement led me to make that comment.

But I was just being a smarta$$.

A number of synthetic blends meet the GM 4718 specification. I'd think the Schaeffers Supreme 7000 oils would work fine in this application. As I recall, both meet the ACEA A3 specification ....

TS

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:

quote:

Originally posted by Patmam

Yep, it most certainly is! If I win the lottery tonight and can afford a new Corvette, I wouldn't hesitate to run Schaeffer Oil in it.

This statement led me to make that comment.

But I was just being a smarta$$. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I see,
I've been known to be a smarta$$ from time to time myself
tongue.gif

FWIW, I just ordered two cases of Schaeffer Supreme 7000 5w30 for my Firebird, so I'm going to continue running Schaeffer Oil (it's currently running their 10w30 though)

I was planning on running the Castrol 0w30 in it, but will now just use that oil in my wife's car and in my sister's car. I'll continue with the GTX HM 5w30 in my mom's car as long as her first UOA turns out looking ok. I don't think my mom is going to keep her 94 Probe GT for all that much longer anyways. In a couple of years when my father retires they'll just stick with one vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back