Does Saw Palmetto Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this friend. He is early 40's but already having some mild prostate enlargement and reduced flow. His doc says nothing to worry about and to start blood tests in ten years. In the mean time.. Dies saw palmetto really work and if so, where what brand to buy?

Yes, it works. Last metastudy I read on it showed absolutely equivalent efficacy with finasteride (most common Rx), fewer side effects. This was 10 years ago so there be newer Rx's, but I doubt any better.

If he has BPH this is a good idea. As to brand, a reputable one from a good vendor/health food/pharmacy chain. Best idea, ask his pharmacist what they see success with. They are valuable and over-looked and under-utilized tools in our health care system (much better used elsewhere). Disclaimer, I am not a pharmacist so that was not a blind shot.
wink.gif

There are many places online, forums, he can find men's experiences with this and figure out what works for him.

I believe Saw Palmetto was used for yrs, with great success, before big pharma came out with drugs to do the same thing (but with side effects).

The saw palmetto berry extract is often combined with other herbal products, most commonly stinging nettle (Urtica dioica)-the root is the most potent part-to make it even more effective in improving prostate health.

If does not matter if it works or not. The medical industry want you to take their chemicals instead. If you start eating healthy and learn about how your body works and pay attention to your nutrition you will hurt their business. Besides the side effects of their work is great for follow on business. It's not a conspiracy it's just business. Just remember to do your part and super-size your next order.

Thanks guys! As an aside, I was a victim of one of those 'rare' reactions to an antibiotic called CIPRO, it is from a family called 'floroquinolones' .(based in fluoride)...bad stuff and now has the huge black box warning from the FDA. The doctors do. It read the updated warnings. They are too busy. Take something else!

I am not conspiracy theorist and do myself see the value if fluoride or kids teeth. But this was a powerful synthetic chemical that damages the brain and body. It was a horrible experience and I too just two if my 30 or so course of pills.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If does not matter if it works or not. The medical industry want you to take their chemicals instead. If you start eating healthy and learn about how your body works and pay attention to your nutrition you will hurt their business. Besides the side effects of their work is great for follow on business. It's not a conspiracy it's just business. Just remember to do your part and super-size your next order.

And the 32 billion dollar per year, unregulated supplement industry is somehow different?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

And the 32 billion dollar per year, unregulated supplement industry is somehow different?

Supplements , just because they are natural does not mean they are benign and with out risk.
Having said that, i think there are good supplements out there, you just have to do your research, a lot of marketing hype. You have to separate hype from results.
I don't want to see the supplement market government regulated as i would worry about big pharma influencing government policy.
Saw Palmetto has interesting qualities. Some have suggested it may have anti estrogen effects. That might be and interesting study for overweight men.

Last edited:
LOL, getting older is exciting, some things are not working the way they use to? Timber can get limber and the streams of life somewhat less forcefull,,,,pills in a bottle for a tuneup,,,,good luck, some things work and some dont...........lmaorof....Do I see Senior Neighbors on the horizon, well sometimes....

I have this friend who has been taking Prostate Optimizer for a couple of years. It works about as well as the drug his doctor prescribed. At least, that's what my friend tells me.

Prostate Envy: Listening to the strong stream that guy at the next urinal is putting out and thinking to yourself he's just showing off.

I must be an outlier on the bell curve for this. I took Saw Palmetto for years and was then diagnosed with stage two prostate cancer. I know nothing is 100% guaranteed. I hope it works for anyone who takes it. It just didn't seem to prevent it for me.

Why I own big pharma stocks. "There's no money in the cure." Big Ag keeps them sick and big pharma sells them pills. Eat whole foods, lots of protein, vegetables and fat(butter, olive and coconut oil). Avoid grains, sugar and starch. If it comes in a box, don't eat it. Fish oil & Vitamin D are important. Your life will change for the better.

I would read up on possible side effects of Saw Palmetto, and then try it if I didn't find any red flags. I'm getting to the age where I'm statistically very likely to start having to think about that issue myself. Remember that all drugs are chemicals, whether concocted in a lab or distilled from a root. At the core, its just about atoms and molecules, and naturally occurring ones can kill or damage the human body every bit as quickly as synthetic ones. Nature got VERY good at killing other parts of nature thousands of years ago, after all.

There's a lot of pessimism about "big pharma" out there, and a lot of its justified. But despite the sad state they've helped put the healthcare industry into, pharma research has done far more good than harm. Do some medicines have side-effects? Sure. Sometimes its worth the side-effect to live instead of die of a simple infection, and sadly sometimes people don't get to benefit from a drug (Cipro, cited above, is a great example) because they have more side effects than other people have. When it comes to medications, I try not to even consider whether its "man made" or "natural," just whether its effective and how big the risks are.

When taking Saw Palmetto watch your blood pressure to make sure it stays in a range you are comfortable with.

TURPs are done on an out patient basis now, but when I had my prostate reamed out in 1988, I was in the hospital four days. The new flexible cystoscopes are much less painful than that solid ss tube that hurt like [censored].I could hardly believe the difference.

1) Eat properly (stop smoking, doing drugs and drinking,)
2) Get plenty of exercise, (include regular prostate workout).

Two key elements of better health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back