Does saving on oil even matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
$2 in a minute is $120 p/h.

Did your 8 hours at a dealer give you more than a $960 saving than going to one of those websites that has already negotiated the price for you, or a Costco?

Originally Posted By: aa1986
$2 in a minute is $120 p/h.

Did your 8 hours at a dealer give you more than a $960 saving than going to one of those websites that has already negotiated the price for you, or a Costco?

$2 is still $2. It's not worth a minute of my time for a once a year savings.

8 hours at the dealer negotiating gave me roughly a $7,900 savings. 8 hours for $7,900 is a worthy trade.

It's funny to see people loose sleep over 2 $ when buying oil , and these is quite common here. Regular price for oil I use in my diesel is 13 € a liter. I buy it for 6 € so it sumps up on 5 litres.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
I like to save money on anything I buy so why wouldn't I want to save on oil also?

That is exactly how I feel.

In wouldn't walk into my local oil purchase establishment and flip them a $2 coin because I only flipped them one 6 months ago.

Why wouldn't I buy oil when it's $8 off per litre ?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I work with otherwise intelligent people who pass up contributing to their 401K, and by doing so lose out on getting the company match! Thats FREE MONEY they leave on the table.

Why? Stocks are "too risky" they say. Even if they left it entirely in the cash account option they could gain the 50%-100% free match.

They buy new pickup trucks every 2-3 years too. Whopping depreciation!

That is crazy! Matching 401K is the single greatest no-brainer investment you can make. Plus you get the tax deduction. Hoarding oil is a hobby for a lot of the BITOG crowd. Nothing wrong with it as long as you have the room, it makes people feel good.

I can spend $70.00 each year on oil for the seven cars in the family fleet that I maintain or I can spend a couple of hundred.
There are many things on which you can save money and oil is but one of them.
This site will give you whatever deals on oil there are to be found.
Marketers love people who rationalize paying full price for common products by telling themselves that it's only a few extra bucks.
Those few extra bucks do add up over the course of a year.
Saving money on motor oil in no way precludes saving money by shopping smart when buying a new car or contributing enough to a retirement savings plan to max out any employer match.
In the current era, price shopping for anything is just too easy not to do.

5 cars 2 changes a year about 50 quarts plus on saturn that burns a quart in 700 miles. So i can spend 250-300 bucks , or 50 bucks when you buy the sales at a $1 a quart. I can find a use for the extra $250!!

Last edited:
$7900 saving vs msrp or a car buying service?

I'm not sure what you mean. I bought the car new about 4 months ago. I spent about 2 hours test driving various 3 and 5 series and 6 hrs negotiating. That figure was the savings over sticker.

One thing worth mentioning is when I did the timing belt job on my TL I got all parts at a 20% discount from the dealership. It took maybe 2-3 minutes and a printout of the various online dealerships that advertised 20% off. Now I can just walk in and get the discount without asking (It's in their computers) and have what I want the same day most of the time

I also go to retailmenot every time I buy something online over $100. I've never not gotten at least 10% off and twice now I've gotten 50% off. But still, it's just not worth it for a $2 savings on oil and $2 is about the most savings you will find with Redline after lots of searching.

I just paid $3,400 out the door for a mountain bike that retails for $4050 plus tax. It was an advertising mistake that I talked them into honoring. It just happened to be the exact model I fell in love with. I also got another $2,000 in upgrades for $1200 out the door after a lengthy conversation. I paid cash so there were no taxes but I put in considerable effort. I got the bike and some very nice upgrades for what most pay for just the bike.

I shop around for deals and put the time in when it benefits me but for engine oil, and especially Redline, not a chance in [censored] unless it falls in my lap.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
In wouldn't walk into my local oil purchase establishment and flip them a $2 coin because I only flipped them one 6 months ago.

Why wouldn't I buy oil when it's $8 off per litre ?

No one is saying don't buy oil when it is on sale. Where has anyone said that? What I am saying at least is I will still buy the oil I want to use whether it is on sale or not. I won't lose sleep because I paid full price for it if that is what I end up paying when I need it. If I can find what I want/need on sale I will stock up( to a degree - some here are oil hoarders
crackmeup2.gif
- 2-3 OC's worth is the max I will ever have on hand ).

I do not let the price alone, and the brand or kind of oil( conventional/blend/syn )be [censored], determine what I buy as so many here on this site do. It amazes me how so many people only can see the price. I will always try and get what I want to use for less but in the end I will buy the brand and kind of oil/filters I want to use regardless of the price.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense will want to pay less for a product. However, that simply means I look for the lowest price I can find on the product(s) I want to use when I need them. If it costs more than other brands I don't swap to those. I still buy what I want. I just try and get it as affordably as I can at that time.

Last edited:
Brand loyalty is another one of those things that marketers love.
When comparing products that are functionally identical, it seems a little silly to me to stick with only one brand where another of similar quality and performance might cost 50% less.
OTOH, if sticking with a given brand gives the user peace of mind, then there is probably value in that for that user.
I have a hoard of around three hundred quarts, but I have plenty of storage space for it and will run through all of it in 3-4 years. Sometimes I might have a yen for M1 and sometimes I might favor PP, Ultra, Syntec, Chevron Supreme full syn or G-Oil. Doesn't matter, I have some of each. If I run across some clearance RP at AZ over the next week, I'll scratch that itch.
It's all good stuff.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTL
$7900 saving vs msrp or a car buying service?

I'm not sure what you mean. I bought the car new about 4 months ago. I spent about 2 hours test driving various 3 and 5 series and 6 hrs negotiating. That figure was the savings over sticker.

One thing worth mentioning is when I did the timing belt job on my TL I got all parts at a 20% discount from the dealership. It took maybe 2-3 minutes and a printout of the various online dealerships that advertised 20% off. Now I can just walk in and get the discount without asking (It's in their computers) and have what I want the same day most of the time

I also go to retailmenot every time I buy something online over $100. I've never not gotten at least 10% off and twice now I've gotten 50% off. But still, it's just not worth it for a $2 savings on oil and $2 is about the most savings you will find with Redline after lots of searching.

I just paid $3,400 out the door for a mountain bike that retails for $4050 plus tax. It was an advertising mistake that I talked them into honoring. It just happened to be the exact model I fell in love with. I also got another $2,000 in upgrades for $1200 out the door after a lengthy conversation. I paid cash so there were no taxes but I put in considerable effort. I got the bike and some very nice upgrades for what most pay for just the bike.

I shop around for deals and put the time in when it benefits me but for engine oil, and especially Redline, not a chance in [censored] unless it falls in my lap.

What you are saying makes a lot of sense.

The point I made about using a car buying service is that if you go to Costco or a website like Trucar, you'll also save thousands off of sticker price. So the 6 hours you spent negotiating may have been avoidable.

The point about the $2 wasn't about spending a lot of effort to search for a saving on Redline, it was in response to a comment that someone made that in a minute they could save $2 on oil.

cheers3.gif
Merry Xmas!

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I will always try and get what I want to use for less but in the end I will buy the brand and kind of oil/filters I want to use regardless of the price.

From my experience with various oi brands and types(dino&syn) I had in my 1994 Lexus Ls400 with 370+k miles it doesn't matter.

M1 with Motocraft oil filter is the same as Peak conventional with Fram Extra Guard oil filter, the only different was I extended the OCI of M1 to double the lowly Peak.

I do similar with S2000, it had various oil brands and dino in OCI then syn in next OCI. My E430 needs syn only but it had various oil brands too.

If you certain brand and like to stay with it then you should. But in the end either way will not make an engine lasted any longer than the other. Changing oil brands because of price (lower) has a positive effect: less money out of pocket.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
No one is saying don't buy oil when it is on sale. Where has anyone said that? What I am saying at least is I will still buy the oil I want to use whether it is on sale or not. I won't lose sleep because I paid full price for it if that is what I end up paying when I need it. If I can find what I want/need on sale I will stock up( to a degree - some here are oil hoarders
crackmeup2.gif
- 2-3 OC's worth is the max I will ever have on hand ).

All good points...and I agree

I've another to add, I'm a "Supercheap Auto" customer (an Oz chain), and if what you bought in the last two weeks goes on sale, your loyalty card gets the credit...woke up today (Boxing Day) with $21.01 credits from what I bought (regular prices) in the last two weeks.

It added up for a workmate, who bought an OCI of Edge for $140 (2x5L), then when it went on sale for $30 per, got $80 of credits, which he then spent on $30 oil.

^ which is the same as returning the $140 oil and spending $140 on the $30 oil in which case you've got more oil than you may have meant to buy.

Here, we just return the $140 oil and repurchase 2 jugs for $60.

True, but the reward points make you buy something you wouldn't normally buy I used the $21.01 reward points, their 20% boxing day sale to buy 5L of edge 25W50 for $18 and some cents.

A 50 was something that I wasn't going to use again, but 6+ HTHS and that pour point we discussed the other day....might be the winter brew for my Caprice.

Originally Posted By: bigt61

That is crazy! Matching 401K is the single greatest no-brainer investment you can make. Plus you get the tax deduction. Hoarding oil is a hobby for a lot of the BITOG crowd. Nothing wrong with it as long as you have the room, it makes people feel good.

No deduction, just tax deferment. You are going to pay tax on your contribution, the match, and the growth at the other end. And given the way things have gone, at a higher rate than now. I would rather pay tax on income now and stick money in a Roth IRA where the money grows and it is tax free at the other end when I need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back