Does Redline's Water Wetter work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

In honda-hybrid: "cakley" wrote:
> Its Water Wetter made by Redline. Don't laugh at the name... In plain english -- it cools the hottest part of the engine. The combustion area.
>
> I use it with the antifreeze. Though one could drain the cooling system and refill with only water and water wetter during the summer months. This would alow the use of lower octane gas.

Is there any proof this stuff works? I put water/water wetter in my Plymouth last summer, and it caused rust inside the radiator. The Water Wetter is >supposed< to prevent that from happening, but it obviously didn't work as advertised.

Troy

I used this stuff in my supercharged Mustang GT and it definitely lowered the temps by about 10F, it also allowed the car to cool down faster on the return road after making a quarter mile run.

The key is that you must run it with 100% water, not with a 50/50 mix.

we use water wetter in high performance liquid cooled computers.

heres the deal with water wetter. it doesnt work as good as they say it does.

what water wetter does is similar to LAUNDRY SOAP in that it makes water's surface tension lower. this means there is more physical contact with the inside of an engine. it wont make you be able to drop a grade of gas.

it also is NOT an anti-corrosive radiator fluid additive. using water wetter and water alone in an engine will cause bad corrision things to happen over time. you will get as much corrosion and rust as if you wan water alone.

using water wetter in a RACECAR wont be a problem as you will most likely drain and re-fill the cooling system after each race. this ensures that fresh fluid is frequently replaced so that it doesnt have time to become corrosive.

water wetter WONT WORK in normal cars, this is because your cooling system is thermostat controlled, so it doesnt matter how good of a cooling solution you have. your car WILL reach operating tempature or else the thermostat will never open.

now, if your car is overheating water wetter would help, as the thermostat is already open so water wetter can do its thing.

in high performance computing solutions, we use water wetter as a coolant and anti-fungal agent. watercooled computers dont get hot enough to kill bacteria and fingus, so we add waterwetter or a cap full of bleach to do this. water wetter has the nice side effect of lowering operating tempatures as well. this is well documented with thermistor probes accurite to 1/10th of a degree.

using water wetter with a cooling system that is functioning properly and the engine doesnt overheat, will not help one single bit.

whoever said "it allows the use of lower octane gas" does not know what hes talking about.

Yes, I used it on a built up small block. I did not have space for a cooling fan not even an electric one. I never had a problem with over heating. I ran the watter wetter as additional insurance. I had a monster 4 core rad. I also used watter wetter in my old Toyota. I ran water wetter and distilled water in the sumer and added coolant in the winter.

What would be appropriate for a street motor with 50\50 mix? Have heard that motor ice may be proper!?
confused.gif

Both the wetter and the ice are primarily for water only systems not the 50/50 mix most engines run. I tried both in the 50-50, no effect. Save your money.

I've used and installed water wetter in dozens of cars over many years. Never caused any rust. Never caused any problems. And, I've always used it in a ~50:50 mixture.
I too have seen lower temp drops(0-15F) and the ability to run 87 octane in cars that originally pinged on it. This was measure with an aftermarket temp gauge.

I guess it all depends on following the Redline directions, and practicing normal yearly antifreeze changes.

Actually cryptokid, it may very well allow the use of lower octance gas. If you think about it, an engine who's head temperature is really high will need to run realatively high octane gas to prevent detonation. If that hot-running engine can run cooler by using WaterWetter, it may be able to run a lower octane gas without getting detonation.

Engines don't have the identical coolant temperature everywhere in the engine. Some are designed better than others in order to minimize hot spots, but every engine will run hotter in the head than at the thermostat.

quote:

Originally posted by cryptokid:
it also is NOT an anti-corrosive radiator fluid additive. using water wetter and water alone in an engine will cause bad corrision things to happen over time.

This is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what Red Line claims:
"WaterWetter also provides rust and corrosion protection in plain water..."

Like I said, I ran pure water + water wetter last year, and the radiator rusted. Red Line's claims are bogus.

How old was that radiator that you put the waterwetter in?

How long did it take to rust?

Did you use tap water or distilled water?

I use it in all my automobiles. It works wonders! I live in the desert area of Southern California.It hits over 110 degrees from now through summer.

I use straight distilled water and Water Wetter, No anti freeze. No problems with rust or gunk of any kind. Highly recommended
smile.gif

[ May 31, 2003, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

quote:

Originally posted by troy_heagy:

quote:

it also is NOT an anti-corrosive radiator fluid additive. using water wetter and water alone in an engine will cause bad corrision things to happen over time.

This is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what Red Line claims:
"WaterWetter also provides rust and corrosion protection in plain water..."

Like I said, I ran pure water + water wetter last year, and the radiator rusted. Red Line's claims are bogus.

The radiator can't rust. It's either copper or aluminum.

Any chance the Water Wetter caused rust already inside the engine to loosen and be held in suspension waiting for the next coolant flush?

Ken

It does help, just don't expect miracles {10 degrees or so at best}. It does contain anti-corrosion additives-just not as much as regular anti-freeze.

If you are not going to run it with straight water-don't bother with it.

quote:

we use water wetter in high performance liquid cooled computers.

Yep!

I use WaterWetter in my Koolance setup.

Everytime I put it in a car, the vehicle seems to start leaking coolant so I will never use it in anything again.

I'm confused at the claims of water wetter (I've used it however, and didn't see any changes (in anything).

Both Smokey Yunick and Grumpy Jenkins state that when you go to an aluminium head, you lose some power, as there is more effective heat transfer to the coolant, and energy is lost. Smokey used sodium silicate to reduce the heat flow through his aluminium heads to match iron. Grumpy Jenkings reported turning off the (electric) water pump for a brief period before a critical run to get a few more horses. I think Smokey even used liquid ivory soap to reduce the surface tension and ensure that the passages were wetted.

Now as to the claims of water wetter. To me, a DROP in coolant temperature (all other things being equal) would be LESS heat transferred to the cooling system, unless a coolant of far greater specific heats was being used. Not knowing the make-up of water wetter, I can't say whether it does increase the specific heat markedly.

I can understand slightly HIGHER coolant temperatures as a result of improved heat transfer, with correspondingly lower metal temperatures.

Maybe Crypto Kid with his actual cylinder head temperature gauge fitted could test the stuff for actual metal temperatures.

Shannow
Now as to the claims of water wetter. To me, a DROP in coolant temperature (all other things being equal) would be LESS heat transferred to the cooling system, unless a coolant of far greater specific heats was being used

WaterWetter takes heat from the engine to the cooling system, so it may do it's job, then returns ccoler coolant to engine,process continues. Cooler engine! That is why it is called heat tranfer.

On your other point about heat and horsepower. While it is true engines run better at a certain temperture, as you know to much heat is a killer of horsepower AND engines.

For the most part ol Grumpy worries about 7 seconds?

[ June 01, 2003, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

Shannow, you're completely forgetting about the other half of the cooling system. That would be the COOLING part. The enhanced heat transfer takes place at the radiator as well as the head.

troy,

Watter-wetter also has anti-scale additives, so what may have heppened is that WW scoured the scale from the radiator. It may not have been WW's fault.

Water wetter website claims that in a 50/50 mix with glycol there will be no reduction in temp. It is recommended to keep the concntration of glycol down if you have to use it at all.

Have it in a couple of cars. I am also cautious about rust. So far none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back