Does Penn's 5W-20 contain moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys should know this one. I emailed this question to Jonny the Pennzoil guy, but I haven't heard from him. I wonder if he's dropped off the face of the planet, or was he a victim of big oil hit men?

Johnny, you're back! Some folks have been saying the Penn 5W-20 contains 70% group III base stock. Is this true?

bottgers: Sorry, I have not received your email. Are you sure you sent it to the correct address. ([email protected])

To answer your question, yes our 5W20 does contain some moly. Not as much as Scharffers. Ours is between 80 and 90 ppm.

By the way, big brother is watching.

Man I hate it when I'm looking for an answer from sombody and they just disappear! Johnny, where are you?

The specs for Pennzoil 5w-20 look very good on paper. The flash point and pour point seem very high for a "dino" oil. I would imagine that this would be evidence of using a superior base oil (group III and II+). The specs are below.
Flash Point 229C (445F)
Pour Point -45C (-49F)
Vis. @ 40C 48
Vis. @ 100C 8.6
Vis. Index 158
ASTM D-5293 HTHS 2.65

bottgers: Sorry I did not get right back to you. I only check this board about once per week now. I use to be like Patman but had to take drugs to calm me down.
grin.gif

Anyway, the answer to your question is yes. Give or take 5%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back