Does Penn's 5W-20 contain moly?

You guys should know this one. I emailed this question to Jonny the Pennzoil guy, but I haven't heard from him. I wonder if he's dropped off the face of the planet, or was he a victim of big oil hit men?

bottgers

Johnny, you're back! Some folks have been saying the Penn 5W-20 contains 70% group III base stock. Is this true?

bottgers: Sorry, I have not received your email. Are you sure you sent it to the correct address. ([email protected]) To answer your question, yes our 5W20 does contain some moly. Not as much as Scharffers. Ours is between 80 and 90 ppm. By the way, big brother is watching.

The specs for Pennzoil 5w-20 look very good on paper. The flash point and pour point seem very high for a "dino" oil. I would imagine that this would be evidence of using a superior base oil (group III and II+). The specs are below. Flash Point 229C (445F) Pour Point -45C (-49F) Vis. @ 40C 48 Vis. @ 100C 8.6 Vis. Index 158 ASTM D-5293 <[email protected] HTHS 2.65

bottgers: Sorry I did not get right back to you. I only check this board about once per week now. I use to be like Patman but had to take drugs to calm me down. [Big Grin] Anyway, the answer to your question is yes. Give or take 5%