Does oxygen exposure shorten oil's shelf life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accidentally broke the seal on a 5qt container of oil I bought today and I don't plan on changing the oil for several weeks. I wondered to myself if that might have any effect on the oil. I thought about it some more and realized that doesn't really make sense. But I still wonder enough to ask here.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
If you were talking years, yes. Weeks, no. Put it in the coldest storage location you can.

you will be fine. I have a jug of what i refer to as frankenbrew, basically the leftover .5 qts from a couple years of oil changes on 2 cars. I've had the growing concoction in a few different vessels over the years, none of them air tight(kept in my basement, stays in the low-mid 60's(F)year round). a few months back i finally hit 4.5 qts in the franken jug(enough for either car), and sent a sample in for a VOA to blackstone, noting my oxidation fears on the slip. the report came back stating "No harmful contaminants or oxidation showed up"
so there's my
49.gif
for this discussion, FWIW....

Last edited:
All the bottles have some oxygen in them all the time. opening a seal and changing it out for a little new oxygen will not hurt it. When it gets to your engine, it will see plenty more.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: oldhp
Coldest storage??? I thought 60°'ish was the correct temp???

0 Kelvin should do
whistle.gif

lol.. wonder how many people won't understand this...

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: oldhp
Coldest storage??? I thought 60°'ish was the correct temp???

0 Kelvin should do
whistle.gif

0 Rankine would be better
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back