Does oil after cold winter contains more gasoline ?

Hi guys..
Just wonder..does oil after cold winter get more gasoline mix.. cause during warm up the car .. ecu sends more fuel into cylinders to get engine to operation temperature.. as result more gasoline in oil and reducing effectiveness..
Does it has some negative effect on engine ..when drive on that oil after winter ??
Would it be better to repalce oil after winter regarding mileage ???
Or it doesn't matter and just stick to intervals ???

There are some of the newer, modern engines that have fuel dilution issues as it is. They don't need cold weather to bring them on. But to answer your question, it's a bigger problem in freezing Winter weather. Especially if the vehicle is only driven short distances, and the oil temperature is never brought up to a high enough temperature, long enough to get rid of it.

There are some of the newer, modern engines that have fuel dilution issues as it is. They don't need cold weather to bring them on. But to answer your question, it's a bigger problem in freezing Winter weather. Especially if the vehicle is only driven short distances, and the oil temperature is never brought up to a high enough temperature, long enough to get rid of it.
This explanation is 100% right. Change your oil more frequently in cold weather. I've drained oil that smelled like gas once after a few months of short trip drives, never again.

Why would running a higher grade in the winter prevent fuel from getting into it, especially with cold starts, short trips, etc as the question was asked?
I'm guessing the thought behind his response is, if you start with a thicker wt oil and it gets diluted with gas, it will still remain closer to the desired wt oil. That of course depends on how much gas has been dumped in the crankcase. Cars with carbs years ago had more of an issue with dilution. But like moisture will burn off when the engine gets up to operating temp, excess fuel does the same. I believe if fuel dilution was really something to worry about, places like Blackstone would send you a bright red letter stating you need to drop your oil and not drive the vehicle until the oil has been changed. Instead they just report on their findings without panic.,,

I'm guessing the thought behind his response is, if you start with a thicker wt oil and it gets diluted with gas, it will still remain closer to the desired wt oil. That of course depends on how much gas has been dumped in the crankcase. Cars with carbs years ago had more of an issue with dilution. But like moisture will burn off when the engine gets up to operating temp, excess fuel does the same. I believe if fuel dilution was really something to worry about, places like Blackstone would send you a bright red letter stating you need to drop your oil and not drive the vehicle until the oil has been changed. Instead they just report on their findings without panic.,,
Or does the thicker oil require an even richer mixture on cold start, resulting on even more fuel dilution? So much is just a crapshoot.

I do annual changes and do my them in the spring. My 5.7 TBI reeks of gas come April. This year hasn't been to bad since we haven't had the cold weather like we normally do. I also figure there is some condensation build up in there as well.

I do a mid winter oil change without changing the filter after about 2000-2500kms on my f150 3.5 ecoboost. Winter is all short 15 to 25 minute trips in the city for me.

This is the first time I have heard of anyone running a higher viscosity because of lower temps. Thinking of cold starts and oil flow, it seems counterproductive to me. But what do I know...
probably works better with some engines than others would you want a honda 1.5 that dumps a quart+ of gas in the oil raising it inches overfull on dipstick?

The thicker oil is probably better all year in that engine but the fuel dilution is worse in winter.

Of course common sense oil is colder in winter so its thicker.. so why make it even thicker.

probably works better with some engines than others would you want a honda 1.5 that dumps a quart+ of gas in the oil raising it inches overfull on dipstick?

The thicker oil is probably better all year in that engine but the fuel dilution is worse in winter.

Of course common sense oil is colder in winter so its thicker.. so why make it even thicker.
I use 0w-40 amsoil SS with direct injection. I warm up my car for ~15 min in the winter, daily. Also not opposed to a thicker oil anyways, but makes me sleep well at night knowing if it is getting diluted it’s thicker. My wife’s drive to work is short, and sometimes we will short trip for a week before we take a 30 min highway drive

You are looking at the viscosity when the engine is hot, a 5W30 is a 30 weight when hot so you are still getting the 5W when cold, similar to a 5W20. at start up.

I use 0w-40 amsoil SS with direct injection. I warm up my car for ~15 min in the winter, daily. Also not opposed to a thicker oil anyways, but makes me sleep well at night knowing if it is getting diluted it’s thicker. My wife’s drive to work is short, and sometimes we will short trip for a week before we take a 30 min highway drive
oof 15min daily warmup is fairly terrible.. of course if your windows are fogged up that is bad too.
Mine is garaged (unheated) but most warmup it gets is about 30seconds.

Hi guys..
Just wonder..does oil after cold winter get more gasoline mix.. cause during warm up the car .. ecu sends more fuel into cylinders to get engine to operation temperature.. as result more gasoline in oil and reducing effectiveness..
Does it has some negative effect on engine ..when drive on that oil after winter ??
Would it be better to repalce oil after winter regarding mileage ???
Or it doesn't matter and just stick to intervals ???
I drive short trips all winter and I change my oil as soon as it gets warm to get any contamination out before it starts getting hot outside. Sometimes when I change it I only have 1,500-2,000 miles

Cold short trips yes fuel dilution can be a problem, but If you get your oil up to temp on occation for any significant amount of time most of the fuel will evaporate off.

Back