does not recommend the use of motorcraft 15/40w

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just find out that motorcraft does not recommend the use of motorcraft 15/40w in gasoline car due of damage to the catalytic converter , I am the proud owner of a Saturn sl2 2002 with 138000 miles , as everyone can relate it burn oil , and it is a lot , since i started to use motorcraft 15/40w the oil consumption has been a lot less compare to a 10/30w oil , so my question is should i stop using diesel oil in my sl2 ? i don't wanna damage the catalytic converter , should i move to a gasoline oil like 10/40 w ? but the way the other reason i use motorcraft 15/40w is that you can buy 5qt just for 11 dollars.

I can see them not wanting an SM oil used in a SM/GF-4 spec'd car.

Your 2002 is old enough it should not be an issue.

Yah your car shouldnt have a 3 way cat your safe.. if your concerned find a LOW saps HDEO like castrol techron or DELO LE I think even rotella T is low saps maybe even Delvac 1300 LE avl at walmart for 10.50-12.50 / Gallon

so to be safe i should stop using motorcraft 15/40w in my car ? i am going to move to a 10/40w gasoline oil , i am thinking quaker oil 10/40w , i think is cheaper than motorcraft.

I would continue using a CJ-4 15w40. If you are able to run a longer drain interval with less make up oil, the 15w40 may have a positive effect on your converter.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I'd consider Valvoline MaxLife 10W-40 for that engine...

good call for that climate to stop oil consumption. Saturns have known oil control ring problems. I would run some mmo(8-16 ounce) in the oil to break up the carbon deposits on the rings 1000 miles before an oil change. Nothing wrong with 15w40 either especially if you thin it with mmo for better mileage. I would run it in your gas tank too.

I know that the problem is cause by the rings , Gm was to cheap to drill holes in the pistons , the theory behind of using diesel engine oil in the Saturn was it may help cleaning the rings and does not burn that much oil , i will try with 10/40w gasoline engine and see what is the outcome.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
I would continue using a CJ-4 15w40. If you are able to run a longer drain interval with less make up oil, the 15w40 may have a positive effect on your converter.

i don't get why motorcraft does not recommended it ?

CJ4 15W40 is allowed about 50% higher phosphorus and zinc numbers than SM 5W30 so as long as it cut your consumption by at least 1/3 your conv is receiving no heavier dose than it was.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
CJ4 15W40 is allowed about 50% higher phosphorus and zinc numbers than SM 5W30 so as long as it cut your consumption by at least 1/3 your conv is receiving no heavier dose than it was.

Yes, but that's just HIS rate.

I never understand why people sweat this. You can be poisoning your cat more with SM oil than with SL if you're changing it out too often. You can process even more phos through the engine. Some of it will volatilize.

Anyone losing cats lately? Ever? Outside of faulty design, that is? Why NOW, when additives are being reduced are people sweating bullets? Where was their panic and anxiety when additive levels were higher? Why is their anxiety and panic levels elevated now with the mere stroke of a pen?

What most people cannot grip is that regardless of the additive level of your oil in the sump, there's absolutely no control over how often you change your oil and volatilize phos.

It's like regular strength Tylenol that you're taking at 4X the recommended rate. But ..OHHH, you'll never touch that extra strength stuff. It can hurt your liver.

People would be far better served in protecting their cats by doing somewhere near the OEM service interval than they ever will sweating the difference between SL and SM.

I'm using it in my 200K+ Explorer now, despite the warning about gasoline engines. I figure if it was such a big no-no, they would put a warning on the oil bottle itself, rather than just one line on their website that most people will never see. Other than running slightly hotter, the engine is remarkably smooth, and gas mileage doesn't seem to be taking much of a hit.

Oil with low ZDDP and high use/flow through the ca is worse than high ZDDP oil and low flow/use through the cat.

So if the thicker oil helps your burning, go for it.
If you need it, you need it.

I add my voice to the "no worries" crowd.

You have a formula that works to reduce oil consumption... sounds like enough to level off the actual values going to the cats to about the same as an SM oil at a higher rate of consupmtion, IMO, the ZDDP/cat thing is somewhat overstated and what we hear is a worst case scenario that seldom comes up. Finally, with that many miles on the car, those cats are at the end of their working life anyway. They might be on death's door by now anyway, even without the influence of the higher ZDDP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back