Does Mobil1 or Pennzoil Platinum use a lot of sodium or potassium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason why I'm asking is that I have decided to get UOAs done on my cars. Unfortunately, I forgot which oil went into which vehicle. I'm primarily interested in finding out if any coolant, fuel, or silicon is in the oil. I have looked at PQIA VOAs, and some UOAs here, and I"m not seeing anything above single digits for either one, but I thought I'd ask, before spending the money just to find a big question mark as to how much coolant is in the oil. If it matters, the M1 was 5w20; the Pennzoil Platinum was either 5w20 or 5w30, but I'm pretty sure it was 5w20; also, I'll probably go with Polaris/OAI.

Last edited:
Great. I was thinking this was very unlikely, but before I paid for two UOAs that would be useless, I thought I'd ask.

I appreciate the input.

No and no...

Some forms of sodium can be used as a corrosion inhibitor but you shouldn't see more than a few ppm on a voa. Potassium in a UOA is considered a contaminant generally from coolant and sometimes brazing flux.

Sounds good. I just ordered two UOA kits from Amsoil/Polaris. Looking forward to submitting my samples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back