Does MMO= Mind over matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several oil changes ago I threw a few ounces of a left over bottle of MMO in a few hundred miles short of my oil change. On a whim I bought another bottle and put in another four ounces in about 500 miles before an oil change. My dip stick actually looks cleaner than I remember at any time since getting the car.

Other more likely scenarios--

1. Placebo effect.
2. The tech went to take a leak and let it drain down for an extra three minutes.
3. Valvoline Daily Protection is about the clearest oil you can get.

Still....

Last edited:
It thinned the oil and if the MMO was doing its job it should have cleaned it so the oil on the dipstick should have been darker.
smile.gif

So none of the above.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
It thinned the oil and if the MMO was doing its job it should have cleaned it so the oil on the dipstick should have been darker.
smile.gif

So none of the above.

The old oil just changed (ST synthetic run for 6K) was a bit darker after I added the MMO. Still, different oil.

Old oil= (maybe) slightly darker. New oil= definitely lighter.

Last edited:
Color doesn't always tell you much.

What color was your dip-stick to begin with and why was it not metal-colored?

Dipstick is coated in terra cotta colored plastic. As I said, oil after change, was lighter than any other oil change though it might be because it was VWB and that's naturally a light colored oil. The color comparisons were based on wiping it off on a paper towel since the dipstick makes it a bit hard to determine actual color.

Four ounces of MMO added to the crankcase in anything but a small OPE engine isn't going to do much of anything. I think the oil itself is lighter in color.

I've seen MMO do some decent cleaning in the past with my own equipment, but I agree with the above posters - it would take a lot more than 3-4 oz. to make any real difference in a car engine. It would actually take a few treatments, even at the recommended dosage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lawn_Care
I've seen MMO do some decent cleaning in the past with my own equipment, but I agree with the above posters - it would take a lot more than 3-4 oz. to make any real difference in a car engine. It would actually take a few treatments, even at the recommended dosage.

OR, run zero MMO treatments and just change the oil as prescribed. I still don't understand what MMO will accomplish in a "dirty" engine that a name-brand oil won't.

i switched to TC-W3 in my gasoline. but its kind if like MMO iam not sure of any help. but i like knowing the upper side has some lube

Originally Posted by gathermewool
OR, run zero MMO treatments and just change the oil as prescribed. I still don't understand what MMO will accomplish in a "dirty" engine that a name-brand oil won't.

Good point, and my answer to that is thus:
I don't think that MMO does anything a good cleaner oil wouldn't do.
But I do think that the solvents in MMO enhance the cleaning ability, and reduce the time it takes to do said cleaning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Four ounces of MMO added to the crankcase in anything but a small OPE engine isn't going to do much of anything. I think the oil itself is lighter in color.

I agree... Ex 4 ounces in my car is 4/156 total ozs..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back