Does M1 TDT 5W-40 have moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dimitri over at http://www.tdiclub.com has had some outstanding UOA mixing 150 ml (half a can) of Lubro-Moly MoS2 with 4.0-4.5 quarts of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck.

I tried it myself on two occasions, and I thought the results were pretty good. But seeing that others have done the same and also got terrific results, that is confirmation in my book.

So instead of trying to find an oil better than TDT, with moly, just get the TDT and add your own moly.

The 5W-40 doesn't have moly, but the 0W-40 grade from Mobil does. The 0W-40 grade has better boundary lubrication, verified by a colleague of mine.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
The 5W-40 doesn't have moly, but the 0W-40 grade from Mobil does. The 0W-40 grade has better boundary lubrication, verified by a colleague of mine.

How did he verify that? With a 4-ball test, a brugger test, an FZG test or something similar?

Also, was it the most current M1 0w-40 version and TDT CJ-4 he tested?

Originally Posted By: Kestas

I have only used Mobil 5w40, and would never use M1 0w40 unless it was the only thing available.

He determined it via 4-ball testing three years ago. The 5W-40 was the TDT variety. There was a vast difference in boundary lubrication between the two. In fact, testing a rather eclectic collection of 14 oils, the 5W-40 TDT had the worst wear scar by far, even when compared with the lowly mineral oils.

Another interesting tidbit from his testing was that Exxon Superflo 5W-30 and 10W-30 also have moly in it.

Thanks for clarifying, Kestas.

It confirms what Amsoil's 4-ball wear chart says. Around 2002, most likely when the CI-4 version came out, Delvac 1's wear scars became pretty bad, > 0.60 mm. Older data from 2000 show a scar diameter in the low 0.40 mm range, slightly above that of Amsoil's own products. This was likely from the CH-4 version.

Again, we all know that 4-ball testing does not tell us a whole lot about an engine oil. The 4-ball wear test is just one among other test indicating "nothing". From Amsoil's mc oil comparison, I remember a good 4-ball performer showing bad results in the FZG test, while another lube with a large wear scar reached a high stage in the FZG test.

Whether these tests are relevant or not, I love to review them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back