Does lower oil pressure mean less protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed oil today on my truck because I needed a sample for blackstone to double check for glycol they found in my last UOA. I was using 15w-40 LL pennzoil which showed quite more pressure when at operating temperature and at highway speed and at idle. Does less oil pressure mean less protecton on bearings and other critical parts or not? Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I have to know. I had some extra castrol 10w-30 around so I decided to use it. My wife said my oil shrine was starting to make a visual mess in the basement.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by like a rock:
Does less oil pressure mean less protecton on bearings and other critical parts or not?

The short answer: NO.

Every engine wants a different amount of oil pressure. Too high and too low are both bad. Most engines like something in the neighborhood of 10 PSI per 1000 RPM but that is not always the case.

You can use a heavier weight oil to get more pressure, and common folklore says this is good but that is not always the case, and in fact in some cases it can be downright bad. A heavier weight oil gives you more pressure at the cost of lower flow volume. Plus a heavier weight oil may increase wear on cold starts. Either of these can damage your engine.

Best bet is to use an oil in the recommended weight range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back