Does LC20 disrupt ATF frictional properties?

I have Mazda’s FZ ATF in mind in particular. They run their ATF hot in the SkyActive cars (I see 205 - 210F bulk temps every day just driving down the freeway, and 215F is not unusual in the summer). Until or unless I can figure an external cooler, I’d like to keep oxidation and deposits under control.

The Lube Control site still has the write-up from Molakule on it from about 17 years ago. Good write-up, and includes a note for adding 1 oz of LC20 per thousand miles to ATF.

Has anything changed since then? Still no disruption to frictional characteristics?

215F is not hot. It is normal temp for oil. Needs no attenton. You do not want any moisture accumulations.

Rod

I have Mazda’s FZ ATF in mind in particular. They run their ATF hot in the SkyActive cars (I see 205 - 210F bulk temps every day just driving down the freeway, and 215F is not unusual in the summer). Until or unless I can figure an external cooler, I’d like to keep oxidation and deposits under control.

The Lube Control site still has the write-up from Molakule on it from about 17 years ago. Good write-up, and includes a note for adding 1 oz of LC20 per thousand miles to ATF.

Has anything changed since then? Still no disruption to frictional characteristics?

That writeup primarily addressed the old Dex III/Merc ATF and LC20 is NOT needed nor recommended for modern ATF fluids.

Changing fluids using periodic Drains and Fills refreshes the additives and reduces particulate loads suspended in the fluid.

And yes, it can modify the frictional characteristics.

Last edited:
215F is not hot. It is normal temp for oil. Needs no attenton. You do not want any moisture accumulations.

Rod
My heavily loaded work truck runs much cooler than that in normal driving (not towing). 4L60E with only factory cooler. I see no reason not to try to lower temps. I also notice my transmission shifts a bit crisper when the fluid is cooler.

Back