Does it really matter???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this site about a month ago, (it's great)! It seems to be that the general rule of thumb is---for 3 to 6K OCI's pretty much any name brand/store brand dino wil do. It really is what each individual is comfortable with. Of course now the choices are many and I haven't made my final decision yet, so we keep reading...
patriot.gif

Your statement is true for 3 to 4K OCI's but for a 6K OCI I would be using Pennzoil, Havoline, GTX etc...Of course if your 6K is highway miles then any SM oil would be fine. In other words I don't think I would push 'Coastal' or even ST to 6K if I was doing mostly stop and go city driving. (This is just my opinion of course)

My HO, too. You break 5K, go syn. GC, M-1, Valvloline, whatever. On up to 7500 to 10K that is..

Wanna be a pioneer, go 15-25K? Redline, Amsoil are your brews. With a decent filter, that is. Ea0 Amsoil, Donaldson, maybe a PureOne or NAPA Gold.

Just remember, you break the warranty OCI limits, you're asking for trouble from the Stealership even if a windshield wiper goes bad.

Meanwhile these oils are all so good, it just doesn't matter, assuming SM/GF4 to 5K Dino, or the sky's the limit in the Syns..

I think you are basically right. However there are differences in the API grade and viscosity choices. The current best quality is SM Starburst, so that screen eliminates some of the poorer choices. Also I feel there is some value in a higher viscosity index oil, in that it reduces wear and saves some gas on each start-up (even if it is not so cold out). If you go to a 0w20 or 0w30 it probably worth going to a synthetic to ensure the viscosity index is maintained through the 5,000 miles.

Quote:

Just remember, you break the warranty OCI limits, you're asking for trouble from the Stealership even if a windshield wiper goes bad.

I'm not so sure about that, edpolk has posted a number of times about warranty issues like that and from what I recall they can't void your entire warranty in situations like that.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not so sure about that, edpolk has posted a number of times about warranty issues like that and from what I recall they can't void your entire warranty in situations like that.

I agree that you can extend changes and the dealership/factory would have to prove it.. but it will be a fight. The time energy and Money you are going to lose(if it comes to this) in this fight may or not be worth it to you. The easiest battle to live through is the one avoided.
starwars.gif

Quote:

I never said you couldn't win. I said, "who needs the fight"? What ya have to remember, Andy, is EPolk is a lawyer and a Marine. The situation he can't settle in the courtroom
nono.gif
, he'll settle in the back lot of the dealer.
bop.gif

You and I however, are not quite so uniquely qualified. Besides, I was pushing the point a little, too. Yes, between arbitration, civil court, threats, hassles and letters to the editor, you'll get them to cover it, but again, do you REALLY need the hassle? Not me, nor I suspect, you..

But then, I'm just guessing. Some folks just LIVE for that stuff.
crushedcar.gif

toocrazy2yoo: While I personally wouldn't push the OCI out beyond what the manufacturer recommends while under warranty, the point I was trying to make was that they can not void your entire warranty if you do. If you have an engine failure of some sort and you've used some extended OCI, good luck with the dealer. But if your radio fails, or you need a new strut or shock due to the part failing...your warranty will still be valid and the repair will be covered under warranty.
cheers.gif

The replies kind of got away from Pete60's original question. I would agree that just about any quality conventional oil (with a good filter) will be good out to 5K or so UNLESS at least one of the following conditions applies:

- vehicle is a turbo
- vehicle sees extensive idling and/or stop and go traffic
- vehicle will see consistent below freezing start up temps
- vehicle is a known "sludge monster"

If any of these conditions apply, you should probably consider running a synthetic. Or, if you are driving significantly more than 1K miles per month, a sythetic would allow you to run an extended OCI, so that you're not crawling under your car to change oil quite so often (unless you really like crawling under your car as so many of us do!)

Quote:

That's not true for something that is entirely unrelated to engine lubrication (such as a windshield wiper in your example). While exceeding the factory OCI's may cause you problems if you have a lubrication related failure, it has nothing to do with the warranty on any other component of the automobile.

Quote:

Quote:

That's not true for something that is entirely unrelated to engine lubrication (such as a windshield wiper in your example). While exceeding the factory OCI's may cause you problems if you have a lubrication related failure, it has nothing to do with the warranty on any other component of the automobile.

That's entierly true. dam the torpedo .. Full speed ahead!! I long for a good fight. I'd buy a new car and put Amsoil or GC in there after 1,000 miles and a bypass filter and let the rest go. Put on 150,000 miles and then THINK about changing the oil.. stealership jerks!!
mad.gif

Darth-Sidious.jpg

Jeez, boyz, I said I was pushing the point a little. I was obviously exagerrating a little about the wiper..
crazy.gif

Meanwhile, my Stealer was making the case that the car was tampered with because Tires Plus pulled the fill bolt to check the oil level in the tranny. A notion I disabused them of.

Again, who needs that?
dunno.gif

Better to play the game..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back