Does it really matter what oil you use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not one for extended drains. I like changing my oil, be it my truck, car, kids cars even my mothers car. I just like to change the oil. With the help of this board I am using Chevron dino oil and any filter other than Fram.
cheers.gif

quote:

I am not one for extended drains. I like changing my oil, be it my truck, car, kids cars even my mothers car. I just like to change the oil. With the help of this board I am using Chevron dino oil and any filter other than Fram.

Yea, I'm kinda in the same boat. I know some would disagree, but I consider myself a prime canidate for frequent OCIs w/dino oil(10yr old high mileage vehicle, 70mi per day, mostly stop&go, cold winters, ect) I work for an automotive shop, so oil changes are made much easier with access to lifts & tools. I also made the switch to Chevron Supreme recently which is helping to reduce costs.
My Wife's car is almost at the opposite end of the spectrum(`03 VW, 40mi per day, mostly highway). It gets Rotella T 5w40 every 5k miles. Not exactly what you would consider to be an extended drain, but long enough to get the usable life out of the oil and still be cost effective IMO.

I see your point to a point. Their are differences and in some cases great differences. You could not pay me to go 7500 or more miles with Walmart tech2000 oil or Mobile Drive clean. On the other hand put in Amsoil, Redline or M1 and I would not have problem with extended drains well past 7500 miles.

I think that someone else hit the nail on the head when they mentioned that most any SL rated oil will do just fine for 3000-5000 mile oil changes with out UOA and provide good life. THe difference here is that we do not want decent life we mant maximum life and enjoy the pursuit there of! I would miss the disscussion on oil very much if I just used CHevron Supreme and changed every 3000 miles!

While I enjoy the research side of things this site and all of my friends here are very entertaining even when we disagree! I actualy miss all of the guys when I am away for a few days or weeks!

offtopic.gif

Spector, I was sure it was something simple. Very few things will cause a Toyota to just stall on you. Air bypassing the mass airflow will do this and a bad ignitor or ecm. Usualy everything else includeing the above items give warning signs first but not always. This toyota was too young to give up on especialy for a used Honda!!! I sure hope your Camry did not hear you mention this or she should leave your butt stranded!!!! 160,000 miles is still young for this car. You do realiase that your UOA are going to be showing high silcone and maybe some wear from this. It has probably been going slowly like this for a while. 300,000 or bust!

fruit.gif

[ December 21, 2003, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back