Does it really matter what I put in our Honda V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our '03 Honda Odyssey is due for its first oil change under our ownership, when it's in to get snow tires (toyo garit kx, incidentally) fitted.

From browsing the UOA, it looks like this engine is pretty happy on whatever it runs on. I am inclined towards a synthetic or semisynthetic since it sees a lot of short trips. So, Motorcraft 5w-20? That's the first semi-synth that comes to mind that's readily available in eastern MA. Any thoughts?

Any API certified SM/GF-4 5w20 will work just fine. Motorcraft, Havoline, Trop-Artic, Castrol GTX, Pennzoil, etc, etc.

Quote:

Any API certified SM/GF-4 5w20 will work just fine. Motorcraft, Havoline, Trop-Artic, Castrol GTX, Pennzoil, etc, etc.

I agree!
cheers.gif

My dads Vue has run QS, Pennzoil, Mobil 5000 and Castrol GTX. All did very well and I'd go with price as the rule.

Go with the OLM and you'll be fine!
fruit.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Peat, Repeat, and Ditto.

Conoco Phillips just got rid of the Conventional oil designation as the GF-4 spec pretty much made a Semi-Syn just redundant. They basically all are now Semi-Syn. GPI oil just can not hang.

Modern SM/GF-4, regular oil changes and go on with life

I've been using Motorcraft 5W20 from Wal-Mart with 5000 mile OCI.
currently about 10 bucks for a 5 quart jug in the Saturn Vue application the 3.5l takes 4.5 quarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back