Does It Drive You Crazy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...when you're riding or driving in someone else's car and know they could be using a MUCH BETTER oil and filter?

Ugghhh, it's starting to drive me absolutely CRAZY (I think I've been bitten by the oil bug!
grin.gif
).

Case in point: A friend of mine's parents have a Volvo S70 T5. Great car and a blast to drive, but they have used Valvoline 10w-30 (with Valvoline filter) with 5,000 OCI's in a:

2.3L Turbocharged I5
236hp/243lb-ft

They payed a great deal of money for this car and then cheap out when it comes to the oil!

I'm thinking the best course of action at this point (for the sake of the car and so I won't be so annoyed) is to offer up my services and make the switch over to Mobil Delvac 1300 (until the cold temps arrive) with a Bosch filter.

Will probably just let them run it into the ground though...

Car has 90,000 miles on it.

Your thoughts?

[ June 27, 2004, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Like it was said in another thread,"No good deed goes unpunished." People can be pretty peculiar about this car maintanance stuff. If anything happened to the car, they might tend to blame you, even though it wouldn't even be related at all.

I'd chill and let them roll with whatever they want to do. Educate them if asked, but some people flat don't care about this stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
...when you're riding or driving in someone else's car and know they could be using a MUCH BETTER oil and filter?

Heehee -- yes and I think it's getting worse.

I always consider people like the owners of that Volvo S70 T5 part of the grand experiment.
lol.gif

If their vehicles last 150K-200K miles, just think of all the extra protection you're giving your vehicles.
grin.gif

You've simply got to bite your lip. I've learned that unless I'm asked for my opinion I keep my mouth shut for any number of reasons. People either don't want to hear an opinion different from their's (kinda like religion), or they think you're some kind of a know-it-all wise arse, or they simply want to vent their problems and want someone to listen (kinda like an old girlfriend of mine), not necessarily looking for solutions.

Sometimes these automotive forums can be a curse because you learn so much to the point where you realize you know considerably more than any of your friends and neighbors.

Some people don't like to be told what to do. Unless you think your advice will be welcomed, or their actions directly affect you, keep your mouth shut.

[ June 27, 2004, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Kestas ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

Nope. I'm content as long as they actually change their oil (actually, I'm even content if they don't since it isn't my car). Hey, at least they're running 10W-30. Everything's OK: the car will live.
smile.gif

Well, after a talk with my friend...to make a long story short, I won't be messing with the Volvo.

Thanks for the replys guys.

"I'm thinking the best course of action at this point...is to offer up my services and make the switch over to Mobil Delvac 1300...with a Bosch filter."

FYI, the Bosch #3312 filter (Honda and similar applications) had the least total media area (81 sq in) of all the approximately 54 filters surveyed in the combined Mini-Mopar, Grease, and Overboost filter surveys. Number 54 of 54. I imagine Bosch Euro products may be first rate, but their Champion-made filters for the U.S. market leave much to be desired.

Doesn't drive me crazy, but I don't understand how people can pay big bucks for a finely engineered automobile, put in a mult-$K sound system and then scrimp on the oil, the lifeblood of their motor, ergo the entire automobile. I try to give my neighbors helpful hints but if they ignore them then that was their choice. A lot of my neighbors drive German cars...guess what oil I recommend?
grin.gif

Speaking of Volvo, it drives me crazy that the Volvo dealer my dad goes to only offers one viscosity for it's synthetic oil package, and it's 10w30 Syntec. You'd think they could at least offer 5w40 or 0w30, especially the 5w40 since it's mentioned in the owner's manual, and they also mention that Volvo recommends Castrol oils.

My dad simply brings them GC 0w30 and gets them to put it in for him.

What bothers me about them only using 10w30 Syntec is not that I think it's no good, just that in Toronto it would be better if a 0w or 5w oil was used in the winter over a 10w oil.

If they're using a Valvoline filter and valvoline oil, they probably got their oil changed at a Valvoline Instant oil change, even worse.
spaz.gif

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
If they're using a Valvoline filter and valvoline oil, they probably got their oil changed at a Valvoline Instant oil change, even worse.
spaz.gif

-T

It's actually from an "independent" Volvo, or should I say Vovo, dealer in town...

Lotsa USA Volvo dealers use Valvoline....they must get a good deal on it....as mentioned, if changed fast enough, it'll do, it'll do....

Now why the hooters a Volvo indy would not use a the OEM Mann, would lead me to question his judgment.

The truth is the car will likely be more than fine. I believe nearly any oil will do if changed at a reasonable interval and 5k is that even in a turbo. If the car only required dino than it will be fine. I ran Valvoline with frams in a simplier engine Civic for 140k miles at the same interval. I have a nice clean running motor now with 210k. I know people do UOA and its says the oil is not perfect but in reality how perfect does oil have to be.

There are few cars junked due to engine being worn out, its usually another component that failed catastrophically.

[ June 27, 2004, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: andyfish ]

If the car ever dies after you voice your opinion, you'll be the one they blame. They'll forget the first 90,000 miles, but will sure remember the last mile
shocked.gif

Not any more I don't want to sound like an oil salesman and honestly most people don't keep cars long enough to make any difference. They sell or trade in,then finance another car.

In all honesty, a 5K interval with any decent SL 10w30 dino is probably not that bad. Your friends are likely 'ahead of the curve' when it comes to car maintenence by the average Joe.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
In all honesty, a 5K interval with any decent SL 10w30 dino is probably not that bad. Your friends are likely 'ahead of the curve' when it comes to car maintenence by the average Joe.

For this particular application, it's still not nearly good enough for an oil-junkie!
grin.gif

At first I was surprised at how people can have such strong fixed ideas about oil ("inferior")products based purely on anecdotal evidence. I'm like a lot of guys here, after a lot of miles "little" (sometimes expensive)things start to fall apart but the engine and drivetrain are in great shape, so I tend to get it fixed when it might be more practical to bail out....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back