Does Havoline dino oil contain esters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting an Auto-RX cleaning, and am using Havoline 10w-30 to do it. The thought occurred to me that it might contain esters: yes or no? Thanks.

Yes it does, but only some additives are esters.

Don't worry, there are not enough esters to conflict with ARX.

True!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Yes it does, but only some additives are esters.

Don't worry, there are not enough esters to conflict with ARX.

How do esters conflict and what may be the impact ? Would you elaborate a little bit, please. TYI.

quote:

Originally posted by kev99sl:
I'm ... using Havoline 10w-30. The thought occurred to me that it might contain esters.

If its mineral oil based then its unlikely to contain esters. I don't think there's likely to be any esters in a mineral based Havoline.

Esters are usually included in a synthetic PCMO to help dissolve additive and aid seal swell aren't they, as well as provide Castrol with a basis for their magnetic attraction advertising.

quote:

Originally posted by Primus:
How do esters conflict and what may be the impact ? Would you elaborate a little bit, please. TYI.

Esters have a natural polarity that makes them adhere to metals. If you've got esters in the oil and you use AutoRx, you've got two groups of esters that are "fighting" for space on the metal parts. This will hamper the AutoRx in cleaning since it's having to "share" the metal with the esters in the oil.

I was looking at the chevron/havoline 5w20 a few months back and I did see the word ester pop up on the msds. Not sure how much though. MolaKule seems to think its a small amount. He is probably correct.

quote:

Originally posted by SteveS:

quote:

Originally posted by kev99sl:
I'm ... using Havoline 10w-30. The thought occurred to me that it might contain esters.

If its mineral oil based then its unlikely to contain esters. I don't think there's likely to be any esters in a mineral based Havoline.

Esters are usually included in a synthetic PCMO to help dissolve additive and aid seal swell aren't they, as well as provide Castrol with a basis for their magnetic attraction advertising.

Several mineral based oils discussed here contain esters. Pennzoil is one. A lot of the HM oils as well.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by Primus:

Esters have a natural polarity that makes them adhere to metals. If you've got esters in the oil and you use AutoRx, you've got two groups of esters that are "fighting" for space on the metal parts. This will hamper the AutoRx in cleaning since it's having to "share" the metal with the esters in the oil.

Thanks for your kind explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back