Does Havaline syn blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Havaline syn blend have the same add pack as the dino? I am refering to sm for both. I searched the VOA but didnt find anything on the sm havaline syn blend.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000310

The syn blend has way way less Moly and no boron. The conventional hgas a healthy shot of each.
smile.gif

Actually, as the percentage of Grp III base oils in a dino formulation gets larger, the additives tend to decrease.

This is due to the higher VI index of the Grp III base oils and the greater resistance to heat & oxidation.

Moly will probably show the greatest decrease in the Havoline syn blend.

As a side note, whenever a VOA/UOA of a full Grp III syn is posted, the comment "add pack looks thin" will always show up in the thread!
smile.gif

Thanks for the link didnt spot that one for some odd reason but that about explains it.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:

As a side note, whenever a VOA/UOA of a full Grp III syn is posted, the comment "add pack looks thin" will always show up in the thread!
smile.gif

look at valvoline Maxlife synthetic then I don't know the exact composition but I always assumed it ad mostly grp III Maxlife synthetic

Bryan, I don't think MaxLife synthetic is a good example of a normal Grp III.

It's A3 rated, has SA of 1.3 and calcium of 3000+ ppm.

Look at the UOA/VOA's of the Pennzoil GF-3 syn, Havoline Syn, and probably Citgo & SuperTech for a good example of the typical add packs for Grp III's.

Let's see, Group IIIs contain lower percentages of acid forming sulfur compounds and oxidation-prone polycyclic aromatics, are less subject to oxidation, have a higher inherent viscosity index, and are less prone to shear-down. Could it possibly be that a robust additive package isn't as necessary for a Group III based finished motor oil than, say, for a Group I finished motor oil? (Nah, that's too easy - there's gotta be something else involved . . .)

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Let's see, Group IIIs contain lower percentages of acid forming sulfur compounds and oxidation-prone polycyclic aromatics, are less subject to oxidation, have a higher inherent viscosity index, and are less prone to shear-down. Could it possibly be that a robust additive package isn't as necessary for a Group III based finished motor oil than, say, for a Group I finished motor oil? (Nah, that's too easy - there's gotta be something else involved . . .)

I think thats what we are seeing. Dino oils with lots of Group III like Conoco oils/MotorCraft have pretty anemic add packs. Others like Havoline/C hevron have probably little GroupII but great add packs. The Havoline Syn blend cited is a perfect example.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back