Does GC only come in one weight, 0-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the German-made 5W-40 Castrol 505.01 specific oil available at some VW or Audi dealers? It's German made and carries the Castrol label.

quote:
Originally posted by y_p_w: What about the German-made 5W-40 Castrol 505.01 specific oil available at some VW or Audi dealers? It's German made and carries the Castrol label.
Didn't know about that. Thanks for info. My bad. [Dummy!] Was strictly thinking about retail stuff you can pick-up.

blupupher

Site Donor 2021
quote:
Originally posted by y_p_w: What about the German-made 5W-40 Castrol 505.01 specific oil available at some VW or Audi dealers? It's German made and carries the Castrol label.
Isn't that what is sold at AZ, but is the Belgium Castrol?

quote:
Originally posted by blupupher:
quote:

I've seen that, but I don't think it's what the VW/Audi dealers are selling. Almost any manufacturer selling a 505.01 oil is doing so as a "special" oil. They're all labelled as meeting only API SJ/CF. The only ones available in the US are the Castrol sold at dealers, along with oils from Elf, Motul, and Pentosin; I thought I heard Quaker State may have a 505.01 specific oil. The list of 505.01 oils sold in Europe is about 35 names long. VW has very specific requirements for 505.01. It has to be a 5W-40 weight, and it's supposed to for protection of the "pump duse" injector pumps for each cylinder. Something about the pump being driven directly off the cam, instead of a single pump feeding a common rail.

quote:
Originally posted by y_p_w:
quote:
quote:

I've seen that, but I don't think it's what the VW/Audi dealers are selling.

Actually, VWoA is supplying the NA dealer network with German-made Castrol TXT 505.01(VW/Audi part# G052167A2). It is labeled as "Special Motor Oil", without the word "synthetic" or a specific weight listed anywhere on the bottle. Obviously, it is a completely different formulation than BC 5W40 or our beloved GC.

quote:
Originally posted by Brikhead:
quote:
Originally posted by y_p_w:
quote:
quote:

I've seen that, but I don't think it's what the VW/Audi dealers are selling.

Actually, VWoA is supplying the NA dealer network with German-made Castrol TXT 505.01(VW/Audi part# G052167A2). It is labeled as "Special Motor Oil", without the word "synthetic" or a specific weight listed anywhere on the bottle. Obviously, it is a completely different formulation than BC 5W40 or our beloved GC.

The Motul "505.01 Specific" is labelled as "TECHNOSYNTHESE", which is supposed to be Motul's trademark for Group III. The Pentosin "Pentosynth TS 5W-40" says "TEILSYNTHETISHE". Apparently "teil" means "partial". Perhaps the Elf 505.01 oil is a real full synthetic.

The 5W-40 Syntec sold at Autozone is made in Belgium...ELF Excellium DID 5W-40 (VW 505.01) is indeed synthetic.

SE05

My ex wife is german and she said ELF oil is really good stuff.

SE05

Im trying to pick her brain on just how picky germans are about thier motor oil. Will post any good info.

quote:
Originally posted by SE05: My ex wife is german and she said ELF oil is really good stuff.
Would the Elfe Meister steer you wrong? [Big Grin]

Status
Not open for further replies.