Does GC have too much Zinc for a 2001 impala?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are running M1 drive clean 5000 5W-30 in our 2001 Impala with the 3400 engine that has 39K total miles. Thinking of using GC with Purolator Pure One filter next OC. I picked up 5 quarts of GC with PP1 filter at Pep-Boys on special, have not put it in yet. Only have 1.8K on oil and will wait until we have 4K on it. I think GC will be the best oil to get a very long life from this engine. I was planning on going to 8K OCI with GC. I maintain this vehicle very well, including the cooling system. There is no chance that it will ever be abused by over-heating. I am now wondering about the higher Zinc levels possibly damaging the catalytic converter. And if I should just stay with M1 drive clean 5000 5W-30 with 4K OCI?

Any thoughts along those lines? Is the Zinc in GC too much for the catalytic converter? This vehicle has never required adding oil during all past oil changes.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I am now wondering about the higher Zinc levels possibly damaging the catalytic converter.

It's an API SL-rated oil. I'm sure the owner's manual of your '01 Impala recommends something like API SJ or higher, and SJ probably allows for even more zinc than API SL.

IMO, you have nothing to worry about.

A bit of a correction, Mobil Clean 5000 is not a Mobil 1 product. All Mobil 1 oils are synthetic, but the Mobil Clean are either conventional or semi-synthetic.

I don't think it has "too much", because it's around the levels that the older SL spec had, and your car probably would have been specced for SL from the factory.

Thanks for the information. I never thought about the fact that when the 2001 was new SL was the standard.

Should I change the PP1 filter at 4K or just leave it for the total 8K when I run GC?

Is ther a larger PP1 filter for the 3400 2001 engine?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Thanks for the information. I never thought about the fact that when the 2001 was new SL was the standard.

Should I change the PP1 filter at 4K or just leave it for the total 8K when I run GC?

Is ther a larger PP1 filter for the 3400 2001 engine?

The Impala takes a AC Delco PF-47/Fram PH3387A/Wix 1040/Purolator 10111 oil filter. You can go oversized to the AC Delco PF-52/Fram PH3980/Wix 1036/Purolator 24011 as I've been doing on the Malibu I maintain for a few years now. In short, to answer your question, the Purolator PL24011 is the oversized equivalent for your engine.
thumbsup2.gif

I am running GC is a newer version of that engine and it runs very smooth and seems to be holding up better than the SynPower that I was running in the engine. You should be able to run it 8K+ with confidence and run the PureOne filter the full 8K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back