Does frequency tran fluid change eliminate problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
an old mechanic fixed a transmission and poured the old fluid back in the tranny I asked why and he said if its still pink and not burnt in smell its good to go.

I've done 4 or 5 suck out and fills on my 02 suburban in the past year and it keeps coming out much darker than it went in.

It can't be good to have all that stuff floating around in the fluid. Tranny fluid is cheap compared to a new trans.

Run the old stuff in the gas as top end lube on your beaters.

the fact it is getting darker with each change makes me think your on borrowed time with that tranny. Does it smell burnt too?

I had one customer who pulled a horse trailer, he came in one day and requested a flush and filter change. We did the work. He returned for his next oil change and demanded the same. As much as the sale is good, I felt this was completely unnecessary and after advising it was a waste of money.. just did the work, I however was able to talk him out of the pan/gasket service. We were charging $229.99 to flush his Ram 3500 with Synthetic ATF. This is too frequent.

Then there are other people on the other end of the scale who would get angry when I would show them their black transmission fluid that smelled like burnt chicken. It was beyond satisfying when one day, the car with endless notes and recommendations for transmission service in their history actually had clean transmission fluid. I was happy to give them props on replacing the fluid, but it turned out they had the transmission rebuilt due to failure. Bitter-sweet feeling.

I also have customers who replace their transmission fluid at or just before the manufacturer recommended intervals and they rarely have issues. However over maintaining transmission fluid I feel is a complete waste of money.

I have a honda accord with almost 300,000 on it, those tranny's are known to fail at 70k. I change the fluid once a year with the recommended honda ATF. So far no problems, I think the fluid changes had a lot to do with that.

I've done this with all my vehicles and I've never come close to putting a tranny in anything I own, knock on wood. And I know others that does this too...same thing...no tranny replacements.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
the fact it is getting darker with each change makes me think your on borrowed time with that tranny. Does it smell burnt too?

I mean its darker than new, not progressively darker. I believe it's cleaning up 100k miles of gunk in there. I'll keep doing partial changes until it comes out fairly red.

I bought a 1999 Ford F150 new. I would use a MityVac to suck the trans fluid out of the dipstick at every other oil change. I would normally get about 4 quarts out.

The truck went 15 years and 200k miles, and the trans still worked great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back