Does EGR blocking increase diesel consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm tempted to install EGR block off plates in my Ford Everest (I'm in Asia) but I've read that this may result in decreased diesel fuel mileage. Truth? The Everest engine here is similar to the Ranger diesel engine in the USA.

On some diesels there's a choke valve in intake manifold/piping to increase EGR flow. If you block EGR, and choke valve is not jammed open increased pumping loss will decrease MPG.

What diesel Ranger in the USA?
grin2.gif

Anytime I have disabled the EGR on a diesel my fuel economy went up substantially. I disabled the EGR on the VM diesel engine in my 2006 Jeep Liberty and average fuel economy on road trips went from 28 to 33 mpg. On a 2006 Cummins ISX 15L in a commercial semi truck, the fuel economy went up about 15%. Both of those, I used a tuner to just shut down EGR in the control module programming. No codes, cleaner oil, better fuel economy. A win-win in my book.

Yes.
But only because the the thing runs so much better, most can't keep their foot out of it.
Disabling EGR usually increases fuel mileage and performance. Increases NOx though. And in late model vehicles requires a tune to disable it in the firmware so you don't get a CEL.

Ah, the secret is to reprogram the engine chip. A poster in a local Ford forum did block off his Everest EGR but did not do a firmware reprogram. He reported that the Torque app he uses shows diesel consumption at idle went up some.

somhow i find that hard to believe, unless it's all in pumping losses. At idle the engine only has to drive itself, and the AC + alternator. Pumping losses shouldn't change enough at idle to matter.

I think the test conditions might not have been identical.

From an engineering point of view, EGR improves BSFC only in certain operating conditions. Light load with 25% EGR flow rates can, in certain engines, with appropriate injector timing, improve BSFC numbers. However, the most efficient diesels do not use EGR and achieve thermal efficiencies well north of 44%.

Put another way, EGR and efficiency depend on engine design, typical operational loads, where in the rpm range they are operated and tuning.

As mentioned above, many people enjoy improved overall performance when EGR flow is limited or eliminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back