Does DINOs have any advantage over synthetics other than $$$?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have owned quite a few pre-70 cars and always used dino. Had a 57 Chevy 210 that had unknown miles on the motor. Tried synthetic, M1 15W-50 and it stated leaking like crazy. Dino is much better with old seals.

There are still great dinos out there. **** ...I have seen many over 300k cars that only ran on dino.

Well with the short OCI's I have, it reminds me to check the condition of the other parts of the car.

Keeps the internals just as clean.

Better UOA results!!!

Conventional base oils have better additive solubility. They do not contain esters that can damage certain seals. They leak less. The more expensive ones have very strong additive packages -- better than low cost synthetics.

The way I see it, if one runs short intervals, using synthetic oil is counterproductive
banghead.gif

Only if you use a dino HDEO like Mobil Delvac 1300, Chevron Delo 400 etc can you get somewhere near the AW and Cleanliness of real synthetics.

In some cases Delvac1300 vs. Delvac 1 produces dead heat in terms of analysis values.

My faith is in cleaner internals when using PAO/Ester synthetic oils.

Going back if you absolutely have to use Dino try the HDEO, even Rotella T Syn is Group III good for the price.

If not HDEO then Chevron Supreme/Texaco Havoline are excellent stuff. Castrol GTX HM may contain Esters which is advantageous if true.

Would it be wiser to buy Chevron Supreme on sale at 75 cents a quart and change the oil every 2K. Let's see that would be $2.80 for a 7.5K run. Wouldn't that be better off than buying synthetic oil which you could go on a 7.5K OCI. Engine stays clean like synthetic...What wouldn't be the advantage over synthetic oil.

That might be in a sense to change it every 2K OCI but realistic terms time is a value. The quality of synthetic oil by my personal experience is such that even after 6K with synthetic oil I felt the cleaning and condition of the oil was better than dino. I value my time and can't be changing it every month or so. Synthetic oil has many values in it's use that many car owners see the benefits of using synthetic oil. I like the positive results of synthetic oil and that is why I perfer using synthetic oil.

I have 2 cars. one is a street driven 90 Golf and other is a semi race car Jetta (same year)
I used 10W0 Dino in Golf for 5000KM (~3 months) and AMSOIL 20W50 in Jetta for 7500KM plus 10 race events (15 months) I changed both oils at same time. AMSOIL after 15 months was dark but it looked free of any sludge or junk. The Dino oil came out very dark and was very thick as the last drops where pouring out of crank case.

I think Dino oils simply cant stand up under demanding conditions.

The dividing line between conventionals and synthetics is due to blur just a bit more on August 16th in anticipation of the upcoming ILSAC "GF-4" specification. ConocoPhillips will begin marketing reformulated "standard" 5W-20 and 5W-30 oils exclusively as synthetic blends (they'll be labled as such) at the current conventional oils' pricing. The company announced that their "standard" 10W-30 oils will be similarly reformulated by next spring.

Phillips 66
Conoco
Kendall

quote:

Originally posted by kickster:
...I used 10W0 Dino in Golf for 5000KM (~3 months) and AMSOIL 20W50 in Jetta for 7500KM plus 10 race events (15 months)...

10W0? I'm sure that was a typo inadvertently slipped in, in your haste to pan dinos, but it would help to know what viscosity range conventional oil you really intended to denigrate.
smile.gif

10W-40 dino is known to be weak. That is not a fair comparison with 20W-50 Amsoil. 20W-50 conventional oils hold up very well as long as the weather is above freezing. The problem with 10W-40 and 5W-30 is oxidation because of the thin base oil and all of the viscostiy improvers needed to make the viscosity "spread".

The downside with synthetics I have discovered is excessive oil consumption in a high mileage engine.

[ August 10, 2004, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Jimbo ]

quote:

The downside with synthetics I have discovered is excessive oil consumption in a high mileage engine.

I've not found that to be the case. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples also. If talking about Mobil 1's xW30s, you would have to compare them to a 20 weight dino rather than thicker 30 weight dinos.

My particular case is a switch from 15W-40 Delo 400 to 10W-40 Syntec in a BMW m50 engine (2.5l DOHC 24V I-6) with 120,000 miles. The oil consumption went from 1qt/5000 miles to 1qt/2000 miles with no external leakage.

Yes the viscosities are not absolutely identical, but as close as I could find in an OTC synthetic.

Well I guess to play the devils advocate here, I could say the opposite.

There are some dino UOA that have better results then synthetic ones. There's also those that argue that because of extended drain intervals, synthetics are cheaper.

So one might ask, "Do synthetics have any advantage over dino oils other then price?"

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Well I guess to play the devils advocate here, I could say the opposite.

There are some dino UOA that have better results then synthetic ones. There's also those that argue that because of extended drain intervals, synthetics are cheaper.

So one might ask, "Do synthetics have any advantage over dino oils other then price?"

Kind of impossible if your talking Amsoil, maybe for a cheaper Mobil on a low stress engine, but I have never been able to get full synthetics to come close in cost even with long change intervals, unless you willing to start taking risks with your engine.

Change oil every 2k miles puts ALOT of used motor oil and used filters into the environment
nono.gif
. While most people don't think about this I'm quite sure this will be a big issue for my great great great grandkids. Just something to think about.
cheers.gif

p.s. I'm assuming the internal combustion engine will still be around.

quote:

Kind of impossible if your talking Amsoil, maybe for a cheaper Mobil on a low stress engine, but I have never been able to get full synthetics to come close in cost even with long change intervals, unless you willing to start taking risks with your engine

Know your synthetic and pay for what you want. This why I use Amsoil the good and the bad but like it's result. Will try other products when I see quality synthetic price per say. I like less wear and extended OCI is why I use synthetic oil and why I've been using Amsoil for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back