does anyone notice clutch issues in the cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok just wondering would the biting point of the clutch pedal be relevant to wear meaning the higher up the clutch engages the more worn the clutch is

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Do you guys think its just moisture and the cold or could it just be the clutch needs replaced even if it isn't slipping

Yep, I've had a couple of Holdens that I'd start in cold damp weather, press in the clutch, and not want to go into first (grind in reverse), indicating that the clutch plates were sticking due to whatever.

Rather than jamming the first synchros into engagement, I'd switch it off, engage 1st, then with the clutch in, start it again. With stationary gears, it always break free.

And it was a cable, so it wasn't (physically impossible) sluggish brake fluid.

Interesting timing for this question. I've noticed with the temps dropping by me that in the early morning, my Dakota seems to shriek, for lack of a better word, at certain speeds/rpms. It comes and goes until the truck warms up and at first I thought it was wind since it seemed to happen at about 30 mph, and went away if I sped up or slowed down. Yesterday morning, for what ever reason, I decided to step on the clutch instead of changing speed and the noise went away almost instantly, so it looks like it *is* clutch related, but I have no idea what beyond the cold at this point.

My car doesn't do it on the first morning shift but it does It slightly for a few shifts and then its fine.taking off from first my pedal grabs about 1/4 way up the pedal and when down shifting my pedal releases at about 3/4 up the pedal is when its starts to release anyway. So it seems ok to me.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
So my saturns clutch has always been grabby when cold but now that the weather is cold it shudders on take off. I made a simillar post in the mechanical forum but wanted to address the specific difference in weather. Clutch doesnt. slip it shifts fine . The hydraulics are ok no leaky no creeping forward with foot on clutch and giving it gas. I'm lost anyone have any ideas.

Could just be the extreme cold. I know when I go out to my car in the morning and it's below freezing my legs are not as "coordinated" as they normally are .

My first 5-10 minutes of shifting are not as smooth as they are when the heated seat and air kick in. . . .

So maybe its me shuddering ? Lol its possible . I used to laugh about the dodge ram having a heated steering wheel but now I understand It completely .

Originally Posted By: opus1
I I decided to step on the clutch instead of changing speed and the noise went away almost instantly, so it looks like it *is* clutch related, but I have no idea what beyond the cold at this point.

Throw out bearing?

I don't notice much, if any, difference in my Mazda3. The pedal return can feel pretty slow (heavily damped) after a highway run below -30C, but that's about it.

My last clutch was a VERY aggressive friction material 'streetable' racing setup.
It squawked like a stuck goose when released in No chatter, just noise.

The LS7 setup I have now is dead quiet and smooth in ALL weather despite having an alloy flywheel.

Over at Saturnfans Mobil 1 synthetic universal transmission fluid was recommended for auto and manual transmissions a while back. What do you have in there now? Some use Amsoil's version. Synthetic=better cold flow properties.

Originally Posted By: 91344George
Originally Posted By: opus1
I I decided to step on the clutch instead of changing speed and the noise went away almost instantly, so it looks like it *is* clutch related, but I have no idea what beyond the cold at this point.

Throw out bearing?

Unless it's at bearing in the transmission, mainshaft or Input shaft bearing?

I used to have this issue in my versa, filled with redline MT85 synthetic fluid, its become A LOT better. Still a bit notchy until the car heats up, but no more weird/ugly gear grinding noises.

The clutch which is cruddy(heavy/odd engagement) in my wife's Subaru Legacy turbo chatters a bit more. Once it warms its fine. I would not call it an issue but more a "feature"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back