does anyone notice clutch issues in the cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my saturns clutch has always been grabby when cold but now that the weather is cold it shudders on take off. I made a simillar post in the mechanical forum but wanted to address the specific difference in weather. Clutch doesnt. slip it shifts fine . The hydraulics are ok no leaky no creeping forward with foot on clutch and giving it gas. I'm lost anyone have any ideas.

My STI has a very heavy clutch, and it does become a lot harder to drive smoothly when it's really cold out. Just as you describe, it's more prone to chattering. It has been this way since new for me.

Last edited:
My clutch is much grabbier when cold. I don't consider it to be an issue; it's just how it is. I compensate by adding a little extra throttle and slipping the clutch a tad more until everything's warmed up.

Clutches can seem to chatter when released due to the cold and the slowed reaction of the brake fluid flowing thru the slave/master cylinders.

My old subaru rs 2.5 was this way- When warm it was fine-

One car that seemed flawless hot cold or otherwise was my old 94 Integra and My sisters 93 accord. -Shifted excellently even sub zero Buffalo winters...

The reason I'm conserned is this is the first winter I've had the car and my cavalier and f250 and the Mazda protege never made any difference. The Mazda was hard to shift that was it. So I'm not sure if its a problem or just the nature of the beast

My 03 ZX2 was pure evil in the cold. I had to rev it past 1500rpms or it would stall because it would literally just engage suddenly. Bleeding the clutch system didn't make it any better. It was awful. I ended up selling the car it was so bad.

Add me to the list: I owned a Subaru that had a grabby clutch that chattered. Being grabby was always related to the cold. The chatter would show up at nearly all temperatures.

Cant say I notice a difference on BMW or saab. I dont drive the VW enough to say for sure.

Shifter action can be effected for sure.

I had a Mazda protege -the peppy little wagon 5door. One day at my local Mazda dealer I was picking up a filter for an oil change- I saw that they had syncroshift behind the counter. When I asked, the parts guy said it was because certain models (Protege included) shift very hard in cold weather-

They said the synchroshift works wonders and recommend I do a transmission change with that instead of the gear oil spec'd in the manual.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
I had a Mazda protege -the peppy little wagon 5door. One day at my local Mazda dealer I was picking up a filter for an oil change- I saw that they had syncroshift behind the counter. When I asked, the parts guy said it was because certain models (Protege included) shift very hard in cold weather-

They said the synchroshift works wonders and recommend I do a transmission change with that instead of the gear oil spec'd in the manual.

No. The manufactuer knows what is best, not the dealer.
That fluid is probably a profit making item for the parts dept. They probably try and sell anyone who comes in the door to use that stuff. LOL

Originally Posted By: 91344George

No. The manufactuer knows what is best, not the dealer.
That fluid is probably a profit making item for the parts dept. They probably try and sell anyone who comes in the door to use that stuff. LOL

It was side by side with the Mazda spec'd fluids -and it was about a dollar more... yeah, the local dealer was really swindling us on that one.

Last edited:
On my protege I had to use 2 hands and force it into first so I'm going to say the hard shifting part is very true. But sure the dealer make money off if what they sell but I bet in that case it was legitimate because they do shift hard as heck.

Do you guys think its just moisture and the cold or could it just be the clutch needs replaced even if it isn't slipping

My RSX clutch has a tendency to slip out of gear for the first 5-10 shifts in extreme cold. It almost feels like someone is engaging the gear, pressing the clutch pedal in, then letting it go completely, very hard shifting.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
On my protege I had to use 2 hands and force it into first so I'm going to say the hard shifting part is very true. But sure the dealer make money off if what they sell but I bet in that case it was legitimate because they do shift hard as heck.

On the same ZX2 I posted about above (which has a Mazda transmission in it, presumably the same design as the Protege), I too had really bad shifting issues as well as the clutch issues. I would have to literally jam the shifter into 2nd gear to get it to engage in cold weather. It would make a really loud "CLACK" and the car would actually lose acceleration and then pick back up. At a stop, going from 5th to 1st was also a chore. I found I almost always had to shift from 5th to 2nd and then to 1st. It was pathetic. The really sad part is the car was a low-miles, never-abused car that had the proper fluid and fluid level in the transmission. I suppose it's just bad design or the recommended fluids are just too thick in the winter weather.

The Trans Am does. To be fair it has upgraded hydrualics and a Mcleod Twin disk clutch, but when the fluid is cold in winter, their is a noticeable difference then when the fluid is cold in summer. As I recall there was a difference when it was stock too.

It was side by side with the Mazda spec'd fluids -and it was about a dollar more... yeah, the local dealer was really swindling us on that one.

Less profit margin in the Mazda fluids for the stealer. The wholesale price of the "other stuff" they were pushing is probably 50% less than the Mazda item.
wink.gif

Improper shifter linkage adjustments or it went out of adjustment. Needs to be readjusted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back