Does anyone make xW-10 for street use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that sounds like a bad idea.

But hey, if xw20 is better than xw30, why wouldn't xw10 be better than xw20?

Give it 10 years and 10 will be recommended in fords and hondas. =)

I've been told that blood is the equivalent of a 5 weight. Maybe the xw-10 would be a good substitute for humans in those hot climates.

quote:

I'd really prefer an answer, not your opinions. My Honda Insight manual allows 0W-10 oil in cold conditions

Whoa, batterycar. If you post here you will receive facts, opinions, and a mix of the two.

NEO and SynerGen also make lightweights, but my view is these oils are mostly for Qualifying Runs.

As light as the 0W20's are and with good UOA showings, I don't see why a 0W20 wouldn't or couldn't suffice for all weather use.

CONCLUSION: xW-10 oil does not exist for street cars.

Could I run the RedLine 0W-10 racer oil?

Thanks.

patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by batterycar:

Thanks.
patriot.gif

Call Redline and talk to their technical person.

quote:

Thanks.

patriot.gif

I wouldn't, but that's just, ahem, my opinion. But the basis for it is the info you can easily find on the Redline site, where they state the the detergent and anti-friction additives "compete" for the metal surface, so the race oils are largely free of detergents, allowing them to have less friction. They are not, therefore, recommended for any lengthy street service.

quote:

I see RedLine has 0W-10 but only for racers. Any xW-10 oils for street cars?

royal purple's "racing 9" is a 0w10. they don't state it's for racing use only, but i don't think it's API. if you're set on it, please do a UOA, so we at least have a data point.

fwiw, i know a guy who used racing 9 in one of his dragrace cars. the engine blew up after a few passes, some bearings spun and seized a rod, then mayhem. the failure did not appear to be due to the oil, but rather the oil pump coming loose, but there was no way to tell for sure.

-michael

quote:

Originally posted by DavoNF:
Hey, batterycar, lighten up.
grin.gif

Dave.

Now give him a little break -- if you drove a car that did 0-60 in two weeks flat, you'd probably be feeling a little edgy too!
wink.gif

*** DISCLAIMER: that wasn't a flame, just a little light humor.

Maxima makes a 0w-10 motor oil that they claim is a 100% polyol ester based synthetic. (The kinematic viscosity spec they quote for it seems to indicate it might be a 20-weight though).

quote:

Thanks.

patriot.gif

Well, if you want only facts then the fact is that you can run anything that you desire. It's your engine, your money, and your time.

quote:

Thanks.

patriot.gif

I would love to answer your question but that would be my opinion, not a fact, and you don't want people's opinions.

Opinion:

You probably can. I oppose any "blind dogma". That is why I challenged posters on the "brake fluid change" and the "5w-20" debate. In reality I've used 5w-20 (Mobil 1) when it came out ...and actually am using 10w Chevron bulk oil (got it free when my plant closed) in my Caravan. No ill effects (no I haven't done and won't be doing a UOA on a 160k 12 year old beater) ..no consumption issues greater then with a 5w-30 ..or 10-30 (or even a 15-50 in its history). On the otherhand, I don't do any regular sustained high speed driving with it and typically change it out every six months since it tends to fatigue any oil after, oddly enough, 3-4k miles.

Most "results" (that form opinions) are indexed over a given duration of use (try and get what I'm trying to say here). You can do it ..but place the onus of "intelligent experimentation" upon yourself. You'll get too many Chicken Littles and neysayers ("If man were meant to run 10W GOD would not have created 40w!!!" type stuff) when you sollicit opinions.

If you do decide to do it ...and you find it unacceptable in performance ..I don't think that you'll cause any wear that would shorten YOUR use of this vehicle nor your increase long term costs.

So ..buck convention
cheers.gif
Be a rebel!! Boldly go where others fear to tread! (whisper- and do a few UOAs along the way so you can create your own new "dogma"). Others will
worshippy.gif
you
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Originally posted by DavoNF:
Hey, batterycar, lighten up.
grin.gif

Dave.

Now give him a little break -- if you drove a car that did 0-60 in two weeks flat, you'd probably be feeling a little edgy too!
wink.gif

*** DISCLAIMER: that wasn't a flame, just a little light humor.

Also my attempt at humour:- xW-10 = lighter oil = lighten up.
grin.gif
Well thats the best I could do at 4 in the morning
wink.gif

Dave.

[ April 29, 2004, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: DavoNF ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back