Does anyone have a new Malibu ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of buying a 2009 Chevy Malibu. Can anyone give me input on the 4cylinder and the 6 cylinder engine. Leaning toward the 6 cylinder engine, but was curious what the gas mileage is.

Originally Posted By: ravenchris
Try Consumer Reports.

I'll save you the trip to the newsstand and give you the Cliff's Notes version of what CR will have to say:

It's an American car, therefore it sucks.

Personally, I like what I've seen of the car and what I've read about it in magazines besides CR. If I was looking to replace my '99 Malibu, I'd be looking at the current model.

Quote:
I'll save you the trip to the newsstand and give you the Cliff's Notes version of what CR will have to say:

It's an American car, therefore it sucks.

Actually, many new domestic vehicles have scored well in CR (and some Japanese vehicles did not):

Consumer Reports’ Automaker Report Cards: Feb 26, 2009

Quote:
...a Japanese nameplate is no guarantee that every car in a model range will be a reliable and good performer. For example, the Honda Element and Toyota Yaris scored too low in Consumer Reports’ tests to be recommended.

...new models like the Ford Flex, F-150, Chevrolet Malibu, and Cadillac CTS have done well in CR’s tests and rank near the top of their classes in its ratings.

The latest models from General Motors now rank among the best in testing, and models like the Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook, Cadillac CTS, Chevrolet Corvette, and Chevrolet Malibu all scored well.

I have a Saturn Aura which is built off of the same platform, I have been very happy with it and have had no issues in 16k miles. I have the 4cyl, it has adequate power (similar to 4 cyl Camry/Accord/Sonata) but I really do wish I had gone for the V6. The 4 cyl is smooth and quiet though, and has a great cartridge oil filter that is simple and clean to change.

The driving experience is really positive. The ride, handling and sound insulation really do make for a comfortable and enjoyable ride. There are a lot of thoughtful features in the cabin that I really enjoy, and all of the switch gear is laid out logically, easy to operate and feel solid.

Great car. I had one as a company car, LT V6, 6speed auto, loaded and was very nice. Be sure you look hard if you go for the 4cy because early models have the 4speed auto...you want the later model with the 6 speed auto.

My biggest issue with the Malibu is the rear seat. I'm only 5'10" and my head rubs against the headliner. For that reason alone, it's off my list.

Don't own one, but did make a 900 Mi. round trip over two days on a rented '08 4cyl. 2LT on a business trip last year. Smooth, quiet car and I love the suede-like seats in that particular version.

The 4cyl. is plenty IMO and what I would probably buy, especally w/ the 6spd. auto promising 33 Hwy for '09. I had IIRC 26-27 MPG running nearly all interstate but that was the w/ the 4spd. auto and with MPG as I understand.

The 3.6L in an '07 Aura I also once drove was quite quick though. It may be worth having if it's going to have 4 people + A/C quite often.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
My biggest issue with the Malibu is the rear seat. I'm only 5'10" and my head rubs against the headliner. For that reason alone, it's off my list.

I'm 6'2" and I don't fit too nicely in the rear seat of my Monte Carlo, but since, you know, it's mine, I'm usually sitting in the driver's seat so it's not a big deal. How often do you ride around in the rear seat of your own car?

A much bigger complaint I have about the MC that I didn't notice until after I bought it is the limited front seat headroom. Really, if the driver's seat went down about another inch, everything would be fine.

As for the Malibu, I've sat in a few and seen quite a few on the road, and I've been impressed with them all. It's a huge improvement over the old Malibu which was average at best. I'm not a huge fan of the front grille or the ugly rear window arch they stole from the Accord, but the back looks great and the dual-cockpit interior is also very nice. I'd probably go for the 4-cylinder in that car, if I were buying one, the ecotec is very smooth and economical. Had a Cobalt with a 2.2L ecotec and a 4-speed automatic a few years back (pre-XFE days) and managed a 35 mpg average driving from Seattle to Portland. I'd imagine the performance is similar with the Malibu.

Last edited:
I've driven one..they are nice...

If I do not go with the Cruze (or Civic), then the Mali would be my next choice...

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
I'm 6'2" and I don't fit too nicely in the rear seat of my Monte Carlo, but since, you know, it's mine, I'm usually sitting in the driver's seat so it's not a big deal. How often do you ride around in the rear seat of your own car?

The only reason why most people buy a midsized car over a smaller car is because of the rear seat. The driving position, handling and performance between a Cobalt and a 4-cyl Malibu are nearly identical. If the rear seat is mediocre, that defeats the purpose of buying a midsized car.

Remember, people buy midsized cars for their utility. Otherwise, they'd purchase a Monte Carlo or a 2-door coupe.

Maybe you have short legs.

Fair enough point, I guess.

Remember, people buy midsized cars for their utility. Otherwise, they'd purchase a Monte Carlo or a 2-door coupe.

Oddly enough, I bought the Monte for its utility, primarily the trunk space. At the end of the day it came down to the Monte or a Trans Am WS6. I'm still a little sorry I didn't go for the Trans Am, I don't use that big trunk nearly as often as I thought I would when I bought the car.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
If the 2.2L Ecotec was offered along with the six-speed auto, I would have been all over it.

are you saying you would prefer the 2.2 over the 2.4? I'm not familiar w/ the malibu offerings, but the Aura can be had w/ the 2.4 and the 6 spd auto.

for the long term, I'd go w/ the ecotec over the 3.6. the eco is really low maintenance, and simple to work on. i did plugs on mine in less than 10 minutes. oil change, you don't even need to jack it up.

Originally Posted By: scudpilot
Thinking of buying a 2009 Chevy Malibu. Can anyone give me input on the 4cylinder and the 6 cylinder engine. Leaning toward the 6 cylinder engine, but was curious what the gas mileage is.

Go here for all your Malibu ???'s
http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/

Originally Posted By: moribundman

Maybe you have short legs.

My Tibias are longer than my Femurs. I think that's the problem for me and is the reason why I have a difficult time finding a comfortable driving position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back