Does anyone else wish…

Yes, but already was indoctrinated by pre internet auto stores showing EG guts by the cash register. Maybe it was the Toyota dealer counter display. So I used to, and still should be, blissfully grab ST, or Toyota cans off the shelves.
I am sorry for going down the whole internet era rabbit hole.

I miss just going to Walmart and grabbing an Extra Guard off the shelve and having no qualms about what the internals are comprised of
I still do that, but it's nice to know what other options are and what the differences in construction are. I personally wouldn't cut them myself so it's nice to see others contribute in doing so.

Actually it wasn't BiToG that corrupted me. LOL.. it was another group I'm on.. Prior to that group I was going out buying my Valvoline maxlife oil and my motorcraft oil filter or Wix oil filter, every 6 months. And then I was reading more and more about using synthetic oil in my vehicle.. and then all hell broke loose.. so the first thing I did, was give a cheap synthetic a shot (Kirkland) about 8 months ago to see how it performed.. then all of a sudden all the questions started on here.. after looking at different VOA's... I'll be changing out the Kirkland here soon.. this place does pass the time.. and is very educating..

Nope, not in the least. I like seeing the construction of OFs, along with how they may change over time. Good information.

And, last I checked reading this subforum is a completely voluntary activity. Don't like the "rabbit hole", don't go down it.

Occasionally, I learn something here that I didn't know, or have never heard before. Like that Scotchbrite and Roloc discs are the bane of engine bearings-I never knew that, nor have used them much, usually using a scraper, razor blades, and blood from busted knuckles to clean: but, I never realized they were loaded with tiny abrasive particles of bearing DEATH! Oil filters are the same way, never would have realized how tear prone Purolators could be without BITOG.

Before I found this site I would go to Walmart and buy a Fram filter and Super Tech synthetic oil.
Now I go to Walmart and buy a Fram filter and Super Tech synthetic oil.

I picked up a lot of bad habbits after I joined BITOG. Some of them don't let me sleep, others are causing me to be OCD about lube. I even got a precission digital torque wrench to perfectly torque my magnetic drain plugs, oil filters, and plastic filter caps. I tell ya, it's exhausting...

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else wish they never tripped and fell into this rabbit hole? To be blissfully ignorant about filters and how they’re made? I miss just going to Walmart and grabbing an Extra Guard off the shelve and having no qualms about what the internals are comprised of
No I don't wish I was ignorant about oil filters like in my teenage years. But I do feel bad for those with OCD who truly agonize over little stuff that doesn't matter in the big picture of vehicle maintenance. I just read a story about a guy who always carries oil, filters, wrenches, rags, overalls, jugs, etc. everything needed to do an oil change, so when he hits the exact OCI mileage he can immediately pull over and do an oil change... not 1 mile further. Makes me want to cry for him.

I've been down the rabbit hole too. I try hard to remember, in the end, perfection is the enemy of good. I don't always succeed with that, but I'm trying. I'll never find a perfect filter, but apparently the ones I've used are good.

Back