Does anyone else wish…

Before the internet.. Google and YouTube many of our minds were more innocent and pure. Many of us just believed all was good. My biggest issue is knowing quality control is poor and no one cares about their job. Asian manufactured products are often trash talked, lately I am starting to believe they put out more consecutive products with fewer issues than the states.. Mexico is so/so at quality control

Before the internet.. Google and YouTube many of our minds were more innocent and pure. Many of us just believed all was good. My biggest issue is knowing quality control is poor and no one cares about their job. Asian manufactured products are often trash talked, lately I am starting to believe they put out more consecutive products with fewer issues than the states.. Mexico is so/so at quality control
I don't think it is necessarily the countries/workers but the companies themselves.

Does anyone else wish they never tripped and fell into this rabbit hole? To be blissfully ignorant about filters and how they’re made? I miss just going to Walmart and grabbing an Extra Guard off the shelve and having no qualms about what the internals are comprised of
You can go back and not even worry about a warranty.
Just use OEM filters and worry about more important things.

I would say that the two VWs that I have had that were built in Mexico were of excellent quality, Never have had an issue with them. The first was a diesel Jetta wagon that I sold back to VW to purchase the gas Alltrack I have now had over five years. The fit and finish on both were superb, the engines ran quite well ad the cars did everything I expected of them. Neither ever went in under warranty.

Does anyone else wish they never tripped and fell into this rabbit hole? To be blissfully ignorant about filters and how they’re made? I miss just going to Walmart and grabbing an Extra Guard off the shelve and having no qualms about what the internals are comprised of
Before BITOG came along , people slept a lot better , spent less money , and their vehicles lasted just as long . I won't say that I haven't learned a lot of things here , but I will say it has been a source of a lot of entertainment and laughs . I still do most things the way I always did and my vehicles are non the worse for it .

Did the change in oil filter selection make a difference?

This should be a hobby, not something you worry about. Oil technology is way ahead of where it was even 5 years ago, and most filters will be fine for the average OCI. You could buy the most expensive oil/filters and take meticulous care of your car, only to lose interest and sell it 5-10 years later for the same price as all the others on the market, or have it get T-boned by a careless driver.

Find what works best for you and move on with life.

Before BITOG came along , people slept a lot better , spent less money , and their vehicles lasted just as long . I won't say that I haven't learned a lot of things here , but I will say it has been a source of a lot of entertainment and laughs . I still do most things the way I always did and my vehicles are non the worse for it .
That's how you have to digest a lot of what you read and see here. Things can get out of hand quickly. I like the general information provided here. But when things start getting whacky, it then becomes entertainment, nothing more.

I still do.... :D

Honestly? Kind of, yeah. I'm torn, though. Part of me believes that more knowledge is almost always better, but there's also something to be said of ignorance and bliss.

I mean, I watch unboxing and cut-open videos of new oil filters on YouTube. Any one on the street would think you're crazy if you confessed that to them.

I mean, what percentage of us BITOG folks are out there? Less than .1% probably. Overall, ignorance passed up bliss three exits ago. Most people have never thought twice about the oil filter in their car, and have no intention to start.

Reactions: hrv
Maintaining my cars is kind of a hobby for me, something I enjoy doing. BITOG is an extension of that.
More importantly, it’s a way of sharing a common interest with the BITOG community. Eyes would glaze over pretty quick if I tried talking to most other people about the topics we discuss on this forum. 😄

Back