Does Amsoil S3000 thicken as much as S2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my UOA report from Blackstone and it looks like the viscosity is the limiting factor in my quest for extended OCIs. Amsoil S2000 0W-30, 12,500 rural mail route miles(about 650 hours)on the oil at the time of sample, and the viscosity is 80.6 (@210 degreesF)
frown.gif
Wear metals aren't bad, about the same as on a 9000 mile OCI without the bypass filter. Still thinking of changing to S3000 HDD, but it looks like there is no way I'm going to get 25,000 miles between changes on this vehicle, even with the Amsoil dual remote bypass. So the question is: how does Amsoil HDD fair with thickening?

The Amsoil severe service for the TSO is 17,500 miles per year.

HDD is 15,000 miles per year.

The HDD is very robust shear stable and provides exceptional engine cleanliness. I would expect the oil to stay in grade in it's viscosity better than the TSO.

I have the new formulated TSO and comparing from the old TSO, the oils is more shear stable and think it will stay in grade in it's viscosity better than the old TSO. I like to look at the TSO as more of a performance synthetic oil.

Given your description as a commercial type mail router, I would go with the HDD for 15,000 miles interval.

I should had also mention since you have a bypass filter, I would get an UOA on the HDD at 12,000 miles to see how the oil is doing.

I think from there you will have an idea if the oil can be further extended from 15,000 miles interval.

I don't think the HDD thickens as much as the old formula S2K, but have your made sure all is well with your emissions systems and engine running condition?

With that kind of service the max OCI is 15,000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I don't think the HDD thickens as much as the old formula S2K, but have your made sure all is well with your emissions systems and engine running condition?

With that kind of service the max OCI is 15,000 miles.

Yes, the engine is in tip top shape and runs like a new engine, now that I have replaced a faulty fuel pump again. Last I fall replaced the forward O2 sensor and the cat. On the recomended OCI of 15,000 miles, I was hoping to go more than that with the Amsoil dual bypass. I can do 10,000 miles on a small SDF 42 full flow filter only.

The Amsoil 0w-30 is a SL-CF rated oil.

96 Cherokee----the SDF filter is good for 12,500 miles.

You may have another option: I would go with the S3K 5w-30 and the new Ea oil filter at 15,000 mile intervals. The S3K is a better choice over the TSO in this application. It will provide more shear stability and engine cleanliness in severe commercial type application.

banghead.gif
Yeah duh....it's not marked SM...not sure where I pulled that gem out of
twak.gif

If it says 502.00 it should be the new stuff - but honestly anything purchased this year should be, unless it was some old stock.

HDD would indeed be a better match for that vehicle.

quote:

banghead.gif
Yeah duh....it's not marked SM...not sure where I pulled that gem out of
twak.gif

If it says 502.00 it should be the new stuff - but honestly anything purchased this year should be, unless it was some old stock.

HDD would indeed be a better match for that vehicle.

On the back of the bottles, it has ....VW 502.00,505.00. I assume this is the newer oil, even though I bought it last year. After thinking about it for a few days, I guess I'm going to order some HHD 5W-30 and Ea full flow and bypass filters and give them a try. However, I'll bet if I crunched the numbers, the Motorguard TP filter and a fresh quart of dino every 2-3000 miles would be way cheaper. The question is, which system is best for long term longevity in this engine? BTW Pablo, on another thread, I was concerned about the increased consumtion on this engine. The consumption went up noticably when I installed the dual bypass. That should have been a clue, but sometimes I am clueless.
pat.gif
I think I overfilled the oil, because when I let the oil level hover around the add mark on the dipstick (hot), the consumption seems to be back to normal, which is about a quart in 9000 miles(roughly) Not bad for an engine with 235,000 miles and over 13,000 hours. I hope it's doing that well because of using only synthetic in it since it was new.

I am not huge fan of the dual bypass. I prefer separate full flow remote and regular by-pass. But I doubt it has anything to do with your increased consumption.

I wouldn't think keeping your engine at dipstick max would effect oil consumption either. So when you are at full, how fast does it use a quart.....I mean it is possible that your dipstick is not calibrated to the true full level, but that seems remote.

96 Cherokee - I'll be running Amsoil here soon. I have the 0w30 series 2000 and the 5w30 HDD series 3000. I checked the bottle and I know I have the "new" 0w30.

I think the thickening is a good thing as my engine in Europe specs a 40 weight so putting a 0w30 or a 5w30 that thickens to a 40 weight is about perfect for me (temps never get below 50 here).

Keep an eye out for a 2.2L Ecotec UOA with Amsoil
grin.gif

quote:

I am not huge fan of the dual bypass. I prefer separate full flow remote and regular by-pass. But I doubt it has anything to do with your increased consumption.

Pablo,
I have the dual remote bypass(now called a BMK-13, although mine is the older Amsoil- made by Perma-Cool model) which is a full flow and a BE-90, both mounted together. What is a regular bypass? A BMK-11? Why don't you like the dual remote bypass?

The BMK-13 dual bypass can be restrictive for some engines that need big oil volume flow. BMK-11 and BMK-12 are bypass filter set-ups and what I recommend to customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back