Does a plastic gallon of milk contain more than a gallon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often use empty plastic milk jugs for measuring how much atf I get out on a drain and fill. I measure out half quarts and make lines up the jug. When I get to four quarts it's always well short of filling the jug. Is this because the plastic jug expands and settles after opening?

Last edited:
Yes, it expands, the circle areas on the side buldge out, lots more weight than milk. And I think the hot oil makes it expand more too. I don't use them anymore, too many leaks. I use the 5 quart jugs the oil comes in.

Last edited:
When I worked in the food packaging industry,

we ALWAYS added another 3%-5% extra above the "rated" amount....

that way no one ever complains of only getting 99.97% of the stated amount

I'll have to measure our bags.
lol.gif

Select a strong, commonly available bottle then painstakingly graduate a bottle in pint increments. Mark it with a permanent marker

Then get the same style of bottle and transfer the marks to at least one clean one which you keep in standby.

Now you can dispose of the "dirty one" whenever you need to and you always have a reference bottle to make more.

The round, 3l Poland Springs water battles are PERFECT for my transmission drain & fills. The pour spout of my catch pan fits into the bottle's mouth.

NEVER rely on a wobbly funnel in some random bottle. That is a recipe for disaster.

Obviously this isn't rocket science but this little bit of planning helps by saving a lot of time AND A LOT OF SPILLS.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I'll have to measure our bags.
lol.gif

I HATE milk in bags! I go out of my way to buy milk in jugs from Circle K (formerly Mac's milk) and whenever I'm in the US I grab a couple of jugs of milk there since it's only $1.79 at the Niagara Falls Walmart.

Plastic milk jugs degrade even in the dark and holding water. I switched to 2L seltzer bottles for my emergency well primer stash. Oil goes back into jugs it was bought in . I have a small Ball jar graduated by oz. that I use for mixing my 2 stroke fuel. Be careful with MMO qts. After a few splits, the label slides off. I peeled it off and stuck the label on a qt oil bottle. Lots more durable.
grin2.gif

If the container was exactly the same capacity as the amount of product being sold, you would have shipping problems as these jugs get pushed around. The caps would come off or leak. Also it would be a pain to pour that first glass of milk without spilling it let alone opening the container without spilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back