Does a large stock of oil make good sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stock enough for my truck and my gf's car, with a few filters too. This lets me do my oil cahnges when I want, as I live in a autoparts store void. I'll stock pile oil that may be on sale too, but when the oil shelf is full, I'm done. 120 quarts of oil is excessive unless you live in a remote area where its not reasonable to run to the store for every little thing.

I think it depends on how much oil you use, how fast you use it, how hard it is to get, and, of course, what you want! If you like having 100+ qts on hand, go get 'em, tiger, have fun
grin.gif
. If you maintain an entire family's vehicles, & really go through oil, sure, stock up. If it's difficult to get, or a one time deal, ditto- stock up. I now have 5 5L jugs left of Lubro Moly 0w40 Synthetic SJ(I just used one jug), bought early this past summer. It seemed a good oil, was a one shot deal, & was priced at $10/jug vs normal price of $30+/jug. I drive ~150 miles round trip to buy BobZoil from Tim Mills, last time bought only one mixed case. My present supply(25 L of the LM, 11 qts of BobZoil, 5 qts Havoline Syn 5w40) seems large to me, but I know it doesn't come close to what some have stored away. And yes, I'd buy some German Castrol 0w30, if I could find any! I'm a sick, sick puppy
tongue.gif

In a word, no...unless you change the oil every other day...then you'll go thru it in a heartbeat anyway. I think the most ideal is to have enough for the next oil change plus a qt. or two extra and that's all...

I keep enough for anxiety driven oil changes.!! 1 oil change plus add oil if needed.

[ October 15, 2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

I keep 1/2 to 1qt on hand for each application (car, mower, ect) for top off.

Sometimes I keep an extra filter......but for the most part I don't stash it.

So to me, no it doesn't make senese. Therefore I don't do it.
fruit.gif

[ October 15, 2003, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: goldfinger ]

I always stock up when things go on sale. I did get burned when M1 changed from tri-syn. I had about a year suppy of tri-syn to use up first, so I am just changing it every 3,000 miles. I did buy 2 cases of the M1 5-quart jugs super syn before the price increase. So that did pay off to buy in bulk. That should last me another year.

I also purchase my oil filters in bulk. I have 19 Hasting filters on hand now for 3 cars. I really like these filters and they only go on sale (25%) from my local farm store a couple times a year.

[ October 16, 2003, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: Ross ]

Like everyone else has said, it depends on what you do, but for the average joe, I can't see why you'd want a stockpile on hand.

Example: A bunch of guys back home have the habit of buying up a bunch of oil at one-time (Ugghh, I can't stand 55 gallon drums of oil!). Their reasoning is simply because they have several machines and always want some oil on hand. Problem? Well, many of them are still going through CH-4 oil.

I keep a gallon or two on hand for top-off of whatever I'm using at the time...doesn't take much to run into town to Wal-Mart and pick up some new, modern spec. oil.

Pscholte...your exempt though.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Asmodeus:
Maybe I should buy more, and when there is no 0W30, sell it with a ridiculous markup
wink.gif

Mon ami,

One does not abuse the Elixer of Engine Life by reducing it to an object to be used for mere personal gain!
nono.gif

grin.gif

[ October 16, 2003, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Yes, a large cache does make sense as it's being stocked, even if it starts to seem funny later.

Walmarts near me are so poorly restocked that they never have 5w30 Chevron Supreme in the winter; rarely in summer. Found 17 quarts in New Hampshire, and saved on sales tax too. Yoink!

Have 12 quarts of Chevron 10-30 for the saturn in summer which I bought because Walmart still had some but it looked like they were discontinuing everything.

Rite Aid does a "Single check rebate" where I go for free toothpaste, etc., and sometimes has Superflo or Havoline for 69 cents (limit 12). Show up on Sunday by 10am before stock runs out. Still have mostly found 10w30 which will now have to wait for April/May.

Assumed when Mobil 1 went up in price supertech synthetic 5w30 might too. Bought 6 quarts for wife's saturn for Jan-Feb (and a little top-off). Stored for now.

Found Mobil 1 0w30 on clearance at wally's. Would be good in the olds during the deep freeze.

Did the pep boys citgo case deal thing. When I get to pick a weight I get 5w30 since I seem to "come in to" 10-30 a little more easily. Any rebate/sale that gets it under 79 cents/qt I'll try for.

Have some havoline 5w30 from "family dollar". Got it to top off the Chevron 5w30 presently in the saturn during the now-over shortage. Now that I have "real" chevron supreme these will kick around until I feel like doing a "mongrel" oil change with all the leftovers (both equilon and c.t.)

I feel it's wasteful to drive to the auto parts store just to get parts for a change. I combine by oil shopping with other errands in the same vicinity.

Filters: Keep several supertech 3614's for wifes' and sisters' identical saturns. Figure if one goes away I won't have unuseable stock.

I don't keep any filters for my dodge truck which is one foot in the grave. Something might happen to it by next change.
smile.gif

I'm glad I didn't stock up on supertech's pf47 equivalent b/c I'm switching to PF52 length for the olds. But I'll only buy one of those to see how it goes.

Also have a stash of bar/chain lube, 2cycle oil, gasoline, 30 weight for survivalist gear. This stuff, rarer, completely sells out when needed.

91 Dakota 2.5, 96 saturn SLs (two), 92 olds ciera 3.3.

Wife's saturn gets chevron supreme or better, everything else (including sister's saturn) cheap stuff of appropriate weight except the dead of winter when they get thin synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
... Found 17 quarts in New Hampshire, and saved on sales tax too. Yoink! ...

offtopic.gif

I don't know about Maine but Massachusetts (Taxachusetts) has a line on the state income tax form to collect sale tax on purchases from out of state.

Sounds like they are trying to tax interstate commerce.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
It is a scientific fact that, after a dog, engine oil is man's best friend (but you knew that, didn't you?). Therefore, I feel like I am surrounded by a large group of German friends
grin.gif
to supplement all my BITOG buddies (I mean, like I'm not online 24 hours a day...and we all need companionship)
wink.gif
...now off to Uwe's with my little pals for some Jägerschnitzel.

Uwe's is like the best German restaraunt in the State, and Jagershnitzel is the absolute bomb!!!!! We eat there a lot, considering my grandfather was born in Dillinberg Germany and all.

Well, Drew, as soon as you jump on the GC bandwagon (the band plays German Folk Music, of course), we'll have to meet for lunch at Uwe's and celebrate!!!
cheers.gif

My large stock of GC came in handy tonight when I used some of it as a flush to convert my wife's Honda from RP to GC. I'm now down to only 34L in my oil shrine. Gotta go shopping!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
My large stock of GC came in handy tonight when I used some of it as a flush to convert my wife's Honda from RP to GC. I'm now down to only 34L in my oil shrine. Gotta go shopping!
smile.gif

Wow, Pat, you are almost in a drought condition! Let me know if I need to execute emergency resupply...standing by
grin.gif

I'm gonna have to agree with csp203. I happened to find, while cleaning the garage, 2 Purolator oil filters for a car I don't even own anymore and a case of 3 year old Case of Quaker State 5w-30 I bought at 50% off when a local store was going out of business. I also have 9 Harley Davidson Supreme oil filters that I bought cheap from a guy that sold his bike. It'll be at least 3 years before I use these up - at least they have a synthetic media so I don't have to worry about the paper media getting old. Other than this, I guess a quart of this here and there, with the exception of the 7 1/2 quarts of GC.

BTW, most of this is prior to my BITOG days.

I buy Oil in bulk, and normal stock things like Plugs and Filters etc. I usually buy enough to do 100-200K at a crack. Same with Carb cleaner or Brake Cleaner, etc, I but 6-12-24 Cans at a clip.
I wait til I'm out or almost out and go shop again... but I do pace myself, One month it's the cleaners and another the filter for the oil, etc.

quote:

Originally posted by Ross:
I always stock up when things go on sale. I did get burned when M1 changed from tri-syn. I had about a year suppy of tri-syn to use up first, so I am just changing it every 3,000 miles. I did buy 2 cases of the M1 5-quart jugs super syn before the price increase. So that did pay off to buy in bulk. That should last me another year.

I also purchase my oil filters in bulk. I have 19 Hasting filters on hand now for 3 cars. I really like these filters and they only go on sale (25%) from my local farm store a couple times a year.

I heard about the $1.99 Havoline synthetic on sale at Big lots on this site and went out bought 20 qts. 5-30 and 20 quarts 5w-40. considering I put 20k miles on 2 of my cars, and I change the oil every 5k I'm set for a year. Of course my 2000 Bonneville will only get M1 and fresh M1.

It might not make any sense but I just can't help myself. I love to buy motor oil. My oil shrine includes 10 to 15 gallons of various wieghts, brands and types of oil. Sounds like allot but not really I change oil on 5 automobiles, 1 diesel tractor, and 1 4str outboard. Alos I use oil for chainsaws, logsplitter, and weedeaters.
Tuesday I went to my local Big Lots, but some how I missed out on the Havoline sale, what a rip.
As for the quality issue, the oil I have on hand now is much better quality then what I used to use, so I am not worried on that account.
Well now that I have talked about it, I got to go knock the dust of of my oilo shrine, got to keep them bottles and jugs clean.

For many of us, it makes no sense to stockpile large quantities of oil. Many of us are too crazy about the latest oils and additives and as soon as something new comes out, there will be people doing 1k mile interval on expensive synthetic....dumping 'em thereafter, just to get rid of it.
I don't think I will ever buy more than the current OCI oil and the next for either my or my wife's car.
Rick

Patman,
Flusing an engine with oil....especially synthetic??? Isn't that a bit extreme? You also did that in your Firebird....about 9 quarts total x ~$4.5= $40US
Another side effect is that there will obviously be more oil being dumped, recycled, etc.
I'm begining to worry about oil pollution.....and I'm a Republican
gr_eek2.gif

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back