Does a 2002 Lancer Have a Transmission Drain Plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone knows this. It's my brother's car, I'll be over there to check soon. I just thought someone may know.

It will make it easier if it does. He hasn't had the trans serviced in 60-65K miles. I told him he needs to soon, especially considering he's driving the car about 5-600 miles a week and needs it to last a long time. Currently has about 108K miles.

If it does have one, then I'll be doing a few drain/refills for him, to save some money.

Last edited:
I would assume so, I know the 2004 MY has it for sure. If not, you can unbolt the pan easily. I would personally go with the cooler line flush though, after replacing the filter and gaskets.
55.gif

Last edited:
It it's a Jatco unit it will most likely have a drain plug. Mitsubishi and lots of others use Jatco transmissions.

Joel

Just flush the transmission through the cooler lines. There's no need to use the drain plug.

Why would you disturb a cooler line if a drain plug exists? Not to mention the hassle and mess associated with going the cooler line route..

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Why would you disturb a cooler line if a drain plug exists? Not to mention the hassle and mess associated with going the cooler line route..

Joel

You can do a complete transmission service when you flush the system using the cooler lines. The cooler lines are not that messy.

If it has a drain plug, I think it is a good idea to drain the dirty fluid out of the pan first and then do the cooler line flush.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
If it has a drain plug, I think it is a good idea to drain the dirty fluid out of the pan first and then do the cooler line flush.

You can do the same thing with a cooler line. Just start the car and pump out a few quarts at a time.

The problem with me doing a cooler line flush, is that my brother is cheap on this kind of stuff.

I figure a drain/refill would be beneficial to keep the car running good. I'll probably be helping with costs, although I don't want to. I just don't want his wife and kids being stranded in this Phoenix heat.

I do quite a bit of stuff on this car including oil changes. Occasionally I'll help with costs, but not too often.

In a nutshell, I want to help him but don't want to spend too much money/time on this.

Thanks for the advice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back