Dodge Viper-10qt. sump capacity-racing version-11qts!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.new-cars.com/news/030307-dodge-viper-competition-coupe.html

Dodge Viper Competition Coupe Vehicle Specifications and General Information
Body Style Single-seat Grand Touring competition coupe (not street legal)
Engine
Engine 8.3-Liter, OHV 20-Valve SMPI V-10
Type and Description 10-cylinder 90-degree V-type, liquid-cooled
Displacement 505 cubic inches
Construction 356-T6 aluminum alloy block with cast-iron cylinder liners, aluminum alloy cylinder heads
Bore x Stroke 4.03 inches x 3.96 inches
Valve System Two pushrod-actuated overhead valves per cylinder with roller-type hydraulic lifters
Fuel Injection Sequential, multi-port electronic with individual runners
Compression Ratio 9.6:1
Power (SAE net) 520 horsepower @ 5600 rpm
Torque (SAE net) 540 lb.-ft. @ 4600 rpm
Max Engine Speed 6100 rpm
Fuel Requirement Premium (93 octane)
Oil Capacity 11 quarts, Mobil 1 15W50 Synthetic
Exhaust System Stainless steel tubular headers, GTS-R-style low-restriction racing mufflers, side exit

[ September 17, 2003, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
My car has twice the sump capacity per liter. I thought the Vipers got M1 10w-30 as factory-fill.

It's a competition version.

How about 12quart oil capacity in 3.6 liter Porsche engine?
grin.gif
Granted, it was needed for cooling in 993s...

The engine internals are no different than the production car's. The added power (500 vs. 520)is the result of deleting the cats on the comp coupe.

Given the identical clearances in both engines, why would Dodge go with 15W-50 M1 rather that the production cars 10W-30 weight Mobil 1?

quote:

Originally posted by Ron-Indy:
Given the identical clearances in both engines, why would Dodge go with 15W-50 M1 rather that the production cars 10W-30 weight Mobil 1?

Makes you think about O.E. oil recommendations now doesn't it...

Exactly. We seem to assume that the manufacturer recommendation is based on engine design only, but this is a case perhaps where it's not. As a side note, the Viper is subject to the gas guzzler tax.

Would really be nice to chat with the decision makers / engineers... off the record

quote:

Yes and no. For street use, engineers realize that you can't do 130mph for hours on end. In that case, a lower viscosity is fine. For track racing though, higher viscosity is right. Same with Vettes. Mobil 1 5w-30 is fine for normal driving, but when you want to race it, you better mix in a little 15w-50.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ron-Indy:
The engine internals are no different than the production car's. The added power (500 vs. 520)is the result of deleting the cats on the comp coupe.

Because they know the competition versions (if used for racing) will see much higher oil temps for sustained periods of time compared to a normally driven street car, so the thicker oil is necessary under those conditions.

And after I posted this I realize Buster previously said the exact same thing.
smile.gif

[ September 18, 2003, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

A friend of mine who I used to race Superbike against bought one of these and showed up at the Speed GT Challenge race at Laguna Seca. His name is Paul Mumford. He smoked the factory BMW's , Audi's and Porsches. His 2nd pro race. I guess it's a pretty good car.

speedybenz, I heard about that. They are airing the race on Speed Channel Saturday (tomorrow) afternoon. I'll be away but I'm definitely taping it.
burnout.gif

As for the rest, not only is M1 15W50 a much thicker oil, but it has a stouter additive package too. Don't forget that!
nono.gif

I'd like to run Schaeffer 15W40 blend in the racecar and see how it does. For the street version, I'd run the 10W30 S7000 blend. Better for modest drain intervals than M1 and more economical as well.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Better for modest drain intervals than M1 and more economical as well

Couldn't disagree more. M1 is economical bc I can buy it at the store. With shipping charges it makes zero sense to order Schaeffer's oil. Mobil 1 has also shown to be among the most consistant oil out there.
wink.gif

[ September 19, 2003, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

Better for modest drain intervals than M1 and more economical as well

Couldn't disagree more. M1 is economical bc I can buy it at the store. With shipping charges it makes zero sense to order Schaeffer's oil. Mobil 1 has also shown to be among the most consistant oil out there.
wink.gif

With shipping charges included, when I ordered two cases of Schaeffer Oil it came in at a lower cost than Mobil 1. And if you order enough stuff all at once from Schaeffer Oil the shipping is free, making the oil quite a bit cheaper than Mobil 1. And Terry has expressed more than once that he's more impressed with Schaeffer Oil in modest intervals over Mobil 1. Haven't you guys noticed how he always recommends beefing up Mobil 1 with one of the Schaeffer Oil additives like 132!

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
And Terry has expressed more than once that he's more impressed with Schaeffer Oil in modest intervals over Mobil 1. Haven't you guys noticed how he always recommends beefing up Mobil 1 with one of the Schaeffer Oil additives like 132!

Patman, I think we have to keep in mind that we've seen at least three formulation "tweaks" in Mobil 1 since the SuperSyn formula was introduced. In its current iteration, I'm not so sure Mobil 1 needs any "outside help" anymore. I wonder if Terry thinks the current SuperSyn formula needs "beefing up"?

quote:

I wonder if Terry thinks the current SuperSyn formula needs "beefing up"?

I just don't get it. Why does anyone think it needs beefing up if its been great over the last year or so? If it's any other oil it's always some excuse it seems like.
rolleyes.gif

Patman, all I can say if UOA's are what you guys base everthing on, (you guys being everyone on this site and TERRY), then I don't see how in the world M1 needs any beefing up. If your running a older style engine like the Jeep 4.0L or LS1 then add a friggin qt. of 15w-50 to the M1 5w-30 or whatever.
smile.gif

Most people agree that M1 has been doing an outstanding job and has matched or exceeded Amsoil on this website. Again, just look at the UOA section. So how can M1 need anything if its doing as good or better then other oils on this site?
smile.gif

Another thing, I've noticed that many guys have Vettes that ran nothing but M1 for years and some have over 100k miles on them with zero problems. They are also very clean. If Mobil 1 needed somthing, don't you think we would be seeing worn out engines and engines breaking?

[ September 19, 2003, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Another thing, I've noticed that many guys have Vettes that ran nothing but M1 for years and some have over 100k miles on them with zero problems. They are also very clean. If Mobil 1 needed somthing, don't you think we would be seeing worn out engines and engines breaking?

These guys also change their oil every 3k too, and any oil changed that often will result in a clean engine and will allow you to reach 100k. 100,000 miles is NOTHING, let's see those guys hit 300k worth of abusive driving, and then I'll be impressed. I'm not saying Mobil 1 doesn't show good UOAs in many cars, but for a lot of vehicles like the LS1 and LT1 equipped engines, it's too thin and you can see higher wear numbers in the UOAs compared to something thicker like Amsoil.

quote:

I'm not saying Mobil 1 doesn't show good UOAs in many cars, but for a lot of vehicles like the LS1 and LT1 equipped engines, it's too thin and you can see higher wear numbers in the UOAs compared to something thicker like Amsoil.

True, in these engines. But when people say M1 needs to be thickend more, it really doesn't unless your using it in one of these engines. I think Amsoil ATM is a better fit for the LS1 but bc it is doesn't make it a better oil for all vehicles. Thats my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back