Dodge p/u with a cracked dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 truck and recently the dash started to get some large cracks in it. I took it in to the dealer and Chrysler is going to replace the dash for a $50 deductible. This seems to be a common problem with 2001 and earlier Ram trucks so I thought any Dodge owners might want to know as other Chrysler dashes may be cracking too. Chrysler speced a different compound for the dashes in 2002 so newer models probably won't have this problem. I don't think there is a recall yet on this issue.

Gosh, if the truck is out of warranty and there isn't an extended warranty in place I believe that 50 buck charge is very fair. It's a lotta' work tearing into a dash assembly on MOST, but not all, vehicles.

Sigh..... I remember the "good old days" when a pick-up dash was mostly metal and if you weren't a blubbery blob like me you could crawl down and reach up under the dash and reach pert near anything you had to.

On the tree branch-assaulted 2004 Silverado the dash is a sealed unit requiring somebody with abilities far greater than mine to tear into it.

Wait!!!!! I COULD tear into it but, who knows how much damage would be done, then when the reciprocal procedure is needed, putting the various pieces and parts back into a unified whole would result in a multitude of expletive deleteds and copious laughter from all passers-by observing the blubbury bubba elbow deep in dashboard innards doing what he should never have attempted.

I also wonder how Toyota or Nissan or some other "foreign" (no easy definition for ferin' nowadays what with the fall of the American Empire and the encroachment of this weird globalization stuff that the "greatest generation" would likely not allow to happen but what with the brainwashing of the sheep across the land into accepting all that is politicially correct and the self-lashing that the general pre-globalization American culture is evil and not worthy of protection as every other culture is protected and darn this is a long sentence and I forgot what the hay I was writing about).

Oh, dashboards!!!!

Did you ever ponder the term "dashboard"?

Dash: a quick movement, a small amount of sumpthin such as a "dash of salt" and maybe a few more things.

Board: chunk of wood typically flat on all sides. A group of humans with a common task or goal. And, perhaps a few more things.

Now, put 'em together.

Doesn't make sense.

Betcha the "board" part dates to long ago when it was likely a slab of wood in fron of the tiller operator that held whatever needed holding.

Okay.... I wonder if Toyota etc. would replace a board of dash for fifty bux on a vehicle out of warranty? Having had Toyotas for 14 years or so total I don't think that firm would do it...instead, charging the owner the full amount.

Way to go Dodge!!!!!

Three Huzzahs for their treating the consumer this way.

Let us know how the job turns out, if the wrenchers do the task properly.

^^^ I went to the dealer expecting them not to make good on the dash issue, but to my surprise, they did. The plastic is a Dow Chemical compound and the dashes are made by Textron Automotive in Rantoul, Il (I used to haul the plastics from the Dow Chemical in Dyersburg, TN). Sometime in 2002 they started using a different (softer) compound. But anyway, the part should be recalled, as plastic shards could injure passengers in an accident. That's how bad the dash was cracked. Living in the South, the cracked dashes would be more of an issue than the North.

Yep... them thar Yankee dashes will whomp on them southern dashes every dern' time!!!!

Dash board: on buggys, they had a board that came up. It was called a dash board, because rocks would come up and dash against the board. At least that is my understanding.

O.k., so while I'm at it:
Glove box: In the olden days, vehicles were open and roads were muddy. There was a box strapped to the running board. It was for holding the heavy leather gloves that drivers wore in those days.

Trunk: Look at the early automobiles. An actual wooden trunk was strapped to the back for carrying cargo, much like on a stage coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back