Dodge/Mopar 2015+ tuning

Hey all I have a few questions, hopefully some of you have direct experience or work with Mopar.

I have my 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7 and I want to tune it. I have never had to work with a vehicle that needs an unlocked ECU. From my understanding if I switch out the ECU the mileage will not match up against the gauge cluster, right? I do have a warranty until 100k but besides the cam issues I am not really worried about the motor or trans going out. If I do hit the cam issues what would I need to do? Put the stock ecu back in and call it good?

Or is it best to send my ECU in and get unlocked so mileage is correct? How easy is it for them to tell if it is unlocked? or will they not bother unless there is a huge red flag. OR will they care because the cam issue is so prevalent.

Thank you!

Yes in the future I am going to be adding a whipple or a Procharger but as of now I wouldn't mind just the NA tune. The 5.7 mated with the 8 speed is awesome but you know from factory they add in all the torque management stuff and it is optimized for 89 octane. I would prefer to use 91.

I have the 15 overland so it has the 2 speed tcase so it has the same (or very similar) drivetrain as the early WK2 SRTs from what I have seen. So I am not really worried about the the tcase or transmission.

Also, I don't know if it matters it is a 3rd party warranty and not through the dealer. So I do not know if they are as invasive looking for stuff if it is not out of their pocket.

You know for a fact that the current engine management system won't advance the timing for a higher octane rating? My old cars do, even the BMW.

You know for a fact that the current engine management system won't advance the timing for a higher octane rating? My old cars do, even the BMW.

Yeah I think 89 is what it likes from factory but with how hot it runs I like to put 91 in as a feel good. I can't figure out the PIDs to see knock so I can't verify if my thoughts are correct, but my thought process is because the hemis run so hot (low cooling fan turns on at 227) it will help with pre ignition and hopefully stop it from pulling timing from seeing knock compared to 89. I have torque pro but have looked for a bit and can't find how to make FCA PIDs for knock. I know with the diablo tuners you can see knock though.

Some tuning companies will provide an aftermarket PCM that is programmed with your VIN and odometer mileage. You use the aftermarket PCM to run the tune. If you need to go to the dealer, you take the aftermarket PCM out and put the stock PCM back in. Get the car serviced, and then swap them out again.

I wouldn't be comfortable taking a vehicle with a tune to a dealer. If they need to do a reflash of the PCM or something as part of their repair, they will overwrite the tune.

Some tuning companies will provide an aftermarket PCM that is programmed with your VIN and odometer mileage. You use the aftermarket PCM to run the tune. If you need to go to the dealer, you take the aftermarket PCM out and put the stock PCM back in. Get the car serviced, and then swap them out again.

I wouldn't be comfortable taking a vehicle with a tune to a dealer. If they need to do a reflash of the PCM or something as part of their repair, they will overwrite the tune.

I am just wondering how strict they are. I think I like the idea of having the separate ECU for when it needs work done. I just don't want it to cause major issues if needed. But I know regardless if an air shock goes and is replaced, I doubt they would deny the warranty for that. I did take the Jeep in with some concerns already and they kept it for 2 days went over the entire thing and didn't charge me a cent. Really great guys and thorough so I know I am in good hands!

I guess just talking it out with people more knowledgeable so I can make up my mind lol

There’s some confusion on whether it flags a P1400 code or not when you tune the vehicle or not, which is NOT stored in the PCM. But most guys just get a 2nd unlocked PCM and keep the factory one in a safe place just in case.

It entirely depends on your dealer how they want to go about it though... I have a friend who has the Maxcare lifetime warranty and he’s never had an issue with getting stuff replaced despite having a tune, including replacing the cam and lifters on his 2013 Durango. Other people have been hassled over having a Mopar cold air intake and nothing else.

If you do eventually add boost, it is absolutely vital that you get a good tuner to tune it. My other friend got a bad tune that ended up frying his transmission... he now has a built 8hp70, built 5.7 with a Whipple and is making over 600 all wheel HP on his 2014 Durango running mid 12’s in the quarter mile.

It entirely depends on your dealer how they want to go about it though... I have a friend who has the Maxcare lifetime warranty and he’s never had an issue with getting stuff replaced despite having a tune, including replacing the cam and lifters on his 2013 Durango. Other people have been hassled over having a Mopar cold air intake and nothing else.

That is refreshing to hear. My dealer seems pretty cool if not I have 3 others to choose from. But I like the location and attitude of this one haha.
I understand on a turbo car you can do a lot but on a NA hemi *right now* there isn't much tuning you can do. I know you can damage the engine but I have been talking to Flyin Ryan, Jay Greene, and hemi fever which are some good name I have seen out there. If you feel comfortable you can PM the name of the tuner so I can stay away.

That is awesome. Especially up here in CO forced induction is the way to go. With a whipple and a mild tune I know the SRTs won't come close because they can't get enough air in.

Back