Dodge Durango 3.6L - second run of HPL 5w-20 - 5,000 miles on oil - filter pictures at 5,000 mile change interval

wwillson

Staff member
Below are pictures of the oil and filter run for 5,000 miles. This is my second run of HPL 5w-20 HDEO in my 3.6L Durango. The total miles on HPL oil is now 33,500 miles. Because the filter was so loaded with deposits being cleaned during my first run of HPL, I decided to change the filter every 5,000 miles going forward, until the cleaning subsides.

Filter at 21,000 miles on my first run of HPL:

This 5,000 mile filter shows that the cleaning is beginning to subside, but it isn't done. The filter is a Fram Ultra and as with every other Ultra I have cut, the filter is in perfect condition and extremely will constructed. I'm a big fan.

The pictures are from three different areas of the filter as it's stretched out on the ground. Notice the hard carbon being cleaned from the internals. There was very little visible metal, which is a trend I see when running HPL oil.

IMG_E1191.JPG

IMG_E1192.JPG

IMG_E1193.JPG

Different light

IMG_E1190.JPG

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sure will!!

I just updated the first post with the total run on HPL - 31,500 miles.

No I didn't, because it has run 0w-30 syn in winter and 10w-30 HDEO in summer, since new.
And this illustrates, handily, that "meets the spec" may be "adequate" but certainly leaves performance on the table. As Dave has said, they could release what Dr. Rudnick has cooked up here (in terms of recipes) and nobody would blend them because they are just too **** expensive to produce if your goal is turning a large profit.

Last edited:
And this illustrates, handily, that "meets the spec" may be "adequate" but certainly leaves performance on the table. As Dave has said, they could release what Dr. Rudnick has cooked up here (in terms of recipes) and nobody would blend them because they are just too **** expensive to produce if your goal is turning a large profit.
The BITOG crowd would scoop that oil up.
When it's on clearance for $1 a quart.

I also planned to change my filter at 5k miles on the 4.6 in my Crown Vic I’m running the 15w40 HDEO flavor but I suspect after years of fleet service I have much left to clean

Back