Dodge Durango 3.6L - HPL CJ-4 5w-20 - 26,015 miles on oil

A good bit of carbonaceous material was broken free during this long OCI. As those carbon deposits form, they can trap wear particles in them. Then this oil, with strong cleaning ability, comes along and dissolves those deposits, kicking the trapped wear metals into suspension.

Looking at the filter, silicon, and wear metal content tells me this engine still has a good bit of cleaning to go through.
Is the oil cleaning or the debris built up in stead of being removed via the oil being changed?

Reactions: FZ1
You understand the copper and iron (and everything else) are cumulative? He could have changed the oil five times and stayed around 10-12 for each, but didn't, so of course those will be higher. They are too small to do any damage so it really makes no difference but saves a lot of oil.
Very true, the longer the interval of use, the more the accumulation of particles and metallic atoms.

I will be installing HPL's Premium Plus Passenger Car Engine Oil 5W20, that I purchased from them recently, in our 2015 PathFinder during the coming weeks (when it warms up a bit) and will do an analysis.

Thanks for the testing and posting, wwilson.

This talk of 'cleaning' makes one wish an Auto-RX treatment had been done prior to commencement of this test, but it's nevertheless interesting to see.

This talk of 'cleaning' makes one wish an Auto-RX treatment had been done prior to commencement of this test, but it's nevertheless interesting to see.
Why would you think A-RX would clean any better?

My strategy going forward is to run HPL from new in any future vehicle I purchase and keep from getting deposits. My 2021 Duramax has been running HPL HDEO since new and will run HPL as long as I have it, which will be a long time and lots of miles.

Why would you think A-RX would clean any better?

Because of my experience with it and with oils (including high-ester oils) and additives too numerous to mention. If the speculations here about HPL still 'cleaning' after >25k miles are accurate in any way, then the speculators (including you, I think?) agree with me and my observations about cleaning, even if said speculators don't realize or acknowledge that fact.

Because of my experience with it and with oils (including high-ester oils) and additives too numerous to mention. If the speculations here about HPL still 'cleaning' after >25k miles are accurate in any way, then the speculators (including you, I think?) agree with me and my observations about cleaning, even if said speculators don't realize or acknowledge that fact.
What? :cool:

I too am very curious about HPL's ability to clean and want to see how the new formula with large dose of alkylated naphthalene will clean. I may take a peak at the filter that's been running with the new formula for about 1,000 miles. we'll see how much more carbon has been cleaned. If I peak, I will post a pic.

This HAS to be the best 5w20 money can buy, it has still ran for almost 30,000 miles. I will sometime after I get done with the rotella 15w40 will use hpl's 15w40 in the jetta, imagine how LONG I can run this oil, the price pays for itself.

This HAS to be the best 5w20 money can buy, it has still ran for almost 30,000 miles. I will sometime after I get done with the rotella 15w40 will use hpl's 15w40 in the jetta, imagine how LONG I can run this oil, the price pays for itself.
Where do you see 30k? 🧐

That’s like seeing a 6,000 mile UOA and calling it “almost 10k” 😒

@wwillson
I am little confused here. The oil stated in your report is 5W-20 HDEO. I checked all 3 different types of Heavy Duty Engine Oils they sell on Advanced Lubrication site and none of them come in 5W-20 grade.

Two years went by since @wwillson started his long term test with that oil and not only no one can view the typical properties of this oil but it's also not available for purchase on Advanced Lubrication site. Any explanation for that?
The 26,000 miles run was with the CJ-4 version of the HDEO 5w-20, which the PDS has been posted here several times. My next run is with the CK-4 version of the 5w-20, which has only been out for a little less than a year. Maybe @High Performance Lubricants will update the CK-4 based HDEO PDS to reflect the 5w-20?

Two years went by since @wwillson started his long term test with that oil and not only no one can view the typical properties of this oil but it's also not available for purchase on Advanced Lubrication site. Any explanation for that?
Actually you can buy either, you can have data for either. We updated a formula. The current oil is an improvement over the last. One benefit of us vs a large oil company is we will actually do this. As long as we have the chemistry I'll make it for you. So that being said what can I help you with?

When there is this much cleaning taking place, why would you add more cleaner?
Oh it's "cleaning" it, alright. It's cleaning the junk created, or, left behind by the excessively long OCIs.

Last edited:
Oh it's "cleaning" it, alright. It's cleaning the junk created, or, left behind by the excessively long OCIs.
Very doubtful. I looked back in my records and the average oil change interval since new is right at 7,000 miles. Or, maybe you are saying that 7,000 miles is too long for PCMO synthetics and HDEOs? My first extended oil change interval is with HPL.

You understand the copper and iron (and everything else) are cumulative? He could have changed the oil five times and stayed around 10-12 for each, but didn't, so of course those will be higher. They are too small to do any damage so it really makes no difference but saves a lot of oil.
How is it cumulative if the oil filter takes it out of circulation?

Back