Dodge Durango 3.6L - HPL CJ-4 5w-20 - 26,015 miles on oil

Have you thought of using a filter similar in construction to the old Fram Ultra, rather than changing every 5K? Like say an Amsoil or a Royal Purple? I think they still have the wire backed synthetic media.
This filter was a Fram Ultra. I'm changing every 5k until the cleaning subsides.

$20 each for the UOAs, $8 each for the filters, and $10 quart for the oil.

When we get good stable trend, I won't do as many UOAs.
I don't know your fill volume but I'm guessing about $250 all-in for 26K for oil/filters/UOAs, not bad really, should be similar in cost vs. 5K changes with average Wallyworld oil/filters over that 26K.

I don't know your fill volume but I'm guessing about $250 all-in for 26K for oil/filters/UOAs, not bad really, should be similar in cost vs. 5K changes with average Wallyworld oil/filters over that 26K.
6.5 qts in the 3.6L

6.5 qts in the 3.6L
In a basic port injected engine like this, it's the perfect case for the long OCI on a really good oil and looks like 20K or so is prefectly fine with that HPL. The only one in my fleet I could even attempt this with is the old Lexus RX, everything else is DI or special case (W8 that you don't mess around with, 5K at most). Interesting info!

Wow! And I thought going 15,000 to 20,000 miles was brave on my part. Nope! You sir are the long OCI Mas-tah! I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool::p:)

Yes it is if you change your oil often. However, the metal that shows up on a ICP UOA doesn't cause wear, as it's not like there are chucks of metal circulating around in the oil.

Because when I decided to do extended oil change intervals, I change based on UOAs not feelings.
Very good info and report. Thank You sir

Back