Dodge Caravan to be replaced by Fiat crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. What could they possibly gain by dropping the Dodge version but keeping the Chrysler? Do they have something in mind to keep the minivan factory busy? 'Cus it sure won't be when all its making is Town & Countrys.

The Chrysler version is probably a more profitable model. I can never understand supporting so many brand names while selling essentially the same thing. The differences can be solved though a more vigorous and creative options availability like having three tiers - a barebones version for the cheapskates, most commonly purchased reasonably loaded car and a luxury version of the same vehicle.

The Dodge Caravan is outselling the Chrysler Town & Country, and Fiat wants to drop it? Sounds like a bad idea to me. What crossover car that Fiat builds for Europe is going to be acceptable to American buyers? Chrysler invented the minivan and has protected their lead in that segment for 25 years. They know more about what their customers want than Fiat.

You don't kill the successful vehicle. But there's a chance the Fiat will be a better vehicle.

Here's why Caravan shouldnt be dropped:
Caravan is one of the 2 original Chrysler minivans....
Caravan sells well,effectively doubling Chrysler LLC minivan sales.
Killing Caravan will further decrease resale value of existing Caravans.
For those not able to afford a Town & Country,they will probably shop elsewhere (KIA,Honda,Toyota) and hurt Chrysler LLC minivan marketshare.

Dumb move.

Keep G Caravan and add the new model to the line (under G Caravan).

Originally Posted By: Kuato
But there's a chance the Fiat will be a better vehicle.

Since I remember how wonderful Fiats were when they were last sold in the US, I'll wait for that to be proven in the real world.

Agreed, bad move. I thought they already had a good differentiation between Chrysler and Dodge minivans. There's a cheap stripped-out base Caravan for those folks who want a box on wheels, then they get slightly nicer. To get the really premium features one stops looking at Dodges and walks across the lot to go look at the Chrysler-badged vans. Makes sense to me...

I'd keep the Dodge the more accessible model, and make the Chrysler the upscale level one with features just not available at any price point on the Dodges. Also revamp the price points so there's little overlap between the top-most Dodge and the bottom-most Chrysler, while keeping some unique Chrysler-only features to help persuade option-heavy Dodge buyers to step up to an entry-level Chrysler.

I'm going to take a wait-and-see attitude with this. Depending on the vehicle they bring over, it could be better, or worse. Let's face it, the 200 and new Avenger are better than their old counterparts, but they still aren't great. The new T&C and GC are absolutely improved, but they are doing something that could be considered smart- less badge engineering.

I'm guessing this is going to replace the Caravan
http://www.freemont.fiat.com/

and this is going to replace the Avenger
Fiat Croma

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R
I'm going to take a wait-and-see attitude with this. Depending on the vehicle they bring over, it could be better, or worse. Let's face it, the 200 and new Avenger are better than their old counterparts, but they still aren't great. The new T&C and GC are absolutely improved, but they are doing something that could be considered smart- less badge engineering.

Fiat Croma
i dont see how that could be it since that's clearly a Dodge Journey with a Fiat badge

Originally Posted By: swirlparanoid
Originally Posted By: Nick R

Fiat Croma
i dont see how that could be it since that's clearly a Dodge Journey with a Fiat badge

Now that you say that.... o_o

I agree, bad move.

I do agree with the concept of getting rid of redundant, re-badged duplicate models within the same company, but I think the mistake here is the Dodge Grand Caravan has such a bigger name recogination over the Chrysler Town and Country they are making the backwards decission.

The only thing I can think of is if they dropped the T&C in favour of the GC it would leave only two vehicles under the Chrysler nameplate - the 200 & 300. Maybe this is the driver for the decission.

I'm still trying to figure out how they're going to replace a smallish midsize sedan AND a not-so-mini-anymore minivan with ONE vehicle.

Originally Posted By: css9450
I agree. What could they possibly gain by dropping the Dodge version but keeping the Chrysler? Do they have something in mind to keep the minivan factory busy? 'Cus it sure won't be when all its making is Town & Countrys.

Come on. Dont you know that everyone "deserves" to be "upcale" and deserves to pay a premium for a fancy name brand? Dodge? Pfeew.... who wants that, it's so, not fancy.

We deserve fancy things.

Do they still make a shorty van? Did the stow and go seating take away that option? Is the chassis too complicated because of stow and go? IE are they locked into a pricey design in an era of thriftiness?

I loved my shorty Silhouette, didn't feel like I was driving a bus. More isn't always more.

...Do they have something in mind to keep the minivan factory busy? 'Cus it sure won't be when all its making is Town & Countrys.

Aren't they making them for Volkswagen? Not saying it's a good idea to drop the Dodge version, but they may be re-arranging the lines. Still, I don't think VW sells very many of their Chrysler built minivan.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Do they still make a shorty van?

No. 2007 was the last year for the short wheelbase minivan (just called "Caravan" rather than "Grand Caravan" for the longer wheelbase model).

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'm still trying to figure out how they're going to replace a smallish midsize sedan AND a not-so-mini-anymore minivan with ONE vehicle.

They're eliminating two duplicated models, with one that isn't. When we bought our T&C, I was shocked to see an Avenger on the showroom floor. I asked myself... they *still* make that, and looked to see the model year on the window sticker, thinking it was a leftover model.

The Chrysler line up is quite thin. It can't give up much of anything and survive. And the dealer "realignment" of a few years back likely helped to bring franchises back together as Dodge/Chrysler dealers, so most of the dealers will still have a minivan to sell.

They're confident that the vast majority of their loyal Grand Caravan owners will simply go buy a Town and Country, when the time comes in the future.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
...Do they have something in mind to keep the minivan factory busy? 'Cus it sure won't be when all its making is Town & Countrys.

Aren't they making them for Volkswagen? Not saying it's a good idea to drop the Dodge version, but they may be re-arranging the lines. Still, I don't think VW sells very many of their Chrysler built minivan.

Yes they do for the America's. For the real VW line up that includes a number of different vans they make as well as a bunch of models we can't get here in NA check out the VW German site http://www.volkswagen.de/de.html
Why some of these models are not available here is beyond me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back