Dodge Caravan Leaking PSF From Cap

My nephew said his 2006 Dodge Caravan was making weird noises and thought it was coming from his power steering. Checked it and it was low. Filled it up and started the van. Fluid started leaking out the cap. I noticed the cap never fully tightens. Are these defective from the factory or not. Should he get a new cap or buy a new reservoir.

The cap is vented, Like others pointed out...Probably has air in the system. I like to pull a vacuum on the reservoir to bleed/purge air out of the system.

However....The cap should tighten down, Is the rubber gasket missing on the underside?

The cap is vented, Like others pointed out...Probably has air in the system. I like to pull a vacuum on the reservoir to bleed/purge air out of the system.

However....The cap should tighten down, Is the rubber gasket missing on the underside?
I didn't think the caps were vented on a PS system. That is why removal of the cap is required when bleeding out the air. The rubber O-ring is still there.

On the 5th Gen it is common to replace the cap and the reservoir as the filter in the base of the reservoir becomes clogged and causes PS pump whining and "burping" of fluid. Another method is to "vacuum" out the base of the reservoir with a turkey baster until you have it "cleaned".

I didn't think the caps were vented on a PS system. That is why removal of the cap is required when bleeding out the air. The rubber O-ring is still there.

The PS fluid expands & contracts with temperature changes so there must be a vent.....Just like a differentials & transmissions have to be vented.
The vent orifice isn't large enough to flow large amounts of air though....So if your trying to work air out of the system, The cap needs to be removed.

On the 5th Gen it is common to replace the cap and the reservoir as the filter in the base of the reservoir becomes clogged and causes PS pump whining and "burping" of fluid. Another method is to "vacuum" out the base of the reservoir with a turkey baster until you have it "cleaned".
Yes....I watched some vidoes and they do mention that.

The PS fluid expands & contracts with temperature changes so there must be a vent.....Just like a differentials & transmissions have to be vented.
The vent orifice isn't large enough to flow large amounts of air though....So if your trying to work air out of the system, The cap needs to be removed.
The cap on these dont fit tight and the PSF gushes out. One guy on Youtube bought a new reservoir and mentioned the cap fits tight on that one.

Back